Can you add notes to a PDF?

@ Eric: The annotation feature is really a great gain. Particularly neat is the fact, that I can annotate files that DT merely indexes (e.g. fat, non-ocred scans that would only bloat my DT-database and thus live in my normal folder structure). With their annotations and automatic links they are now more easily tied into a working process that begins from within DT. I enjoy this.

Re changes: Appreciate the shortcut. Think that the current version without calling the adressbook is more straightforward and would agree with rolian that the cursor in a newly created annotation ideally be placed before “Type your notes here”. Thanks for this.
kithairon

Second this…I’d use the annotations template to grab notes & quotes for my research. At present I’ve created my own custom template which is very similar to the new Note template:
Quote: …
Annotation: …
Keywords: …;…;
Link: (either to Bookends Entry or to PDFs in DTPO.

By the way: the “quote” template works only with clipboard: is it possible to have it creating an ‘empty’ document so that the quote can be typed in manually?

Bill de Ville (sp??) made a great suggestion in another thread—something I was unaware of. One can create links from a specific page in a research article and then put that link into an annotation. So, for example, if I’ve already created an annotation, I can pretty easily create a new link inside the annotation to the page with some important table. This is great!

The first part of the process works easily enough: go to the relevant page, control-click and select “Copy Page Link.” This is very smooth.

Now I go to the annotation, select relevant text/header that I want to turn into a link. There seems to be no keyboard shortcut, no control-click option, for implementing this kind of link. There’s a great shortcut and toolbar item for “Make Link,” but apparently I need to use “Add Link.” Can something be added to DTP to shortcut the Add Link option beyond actually going to Format: Add Link? I’ll be using this feature a lot, so the time savings of having a shortcut (right-click option, toolbar icon, keyboard shortcut) would be greatly appreciated.

There are two ways to add the link to the annotation. First, if you don’t already have some relevant text/header info, just copy the page link in the source and paste it into the annotation. The title of the link is the name of the document, but you can edit the link’s title if needed.

If you already have relevant text/header info that you want to add the link to, do the following:

1. Copy the page link
  2. Switch to the annotation document and select the text that you want to add the link to
  3. Select ‘Make Link’
  4. Right-click on the new link and select ‘Edit Link’
  5. In the link destination field, delete ‘DEVONwiki’ and paste the link that you copied in Step #1, and you are done

Even faster, there already is an Add Link… command. It is in the Format menu. You paste the URL into the dialog box that is presented. I think I had to add a keyboard shortcut that I see there now…

Actually there are two link-related commands under the Format menu:

Link… (no default shortcut)
Make Link (Shift-Command-M shortcut)

Also, Make Link and Link To in the appropriate context menu(s). Neither to be confused with Edit > Copy Item Link (Control-Option-Command-C). :slight_smile:

The creation date is that of the actual file, the modification is when you actually add data to it.

The next version of the template (which comes with the next release) will do this.

Excellent!
kithairon

Thanks for all the linking suggestions. All that info is very helpful.

I haven’t responded sooner because I’m finding these forums almost impossible to post to. I log in (successfully), then I’m returned to log in, then I can post a reply, then I’m asked to login again!, and so on and so forth. So to post a very simple reply typically takes about 5 to 10 minutes! Not user friendly at all.

Currently I’m on my 6th cycle of trying to post. Who knows how many cycles it will take and whether I’ll be successful. Fortunately I copy my reply before posting. But this is really, truly madness.

In addition I often get error messages from the forum database especially early in the morning California time. I appreciate all the people on this forum and the help. But from a mechanical point of view the forum is becoming almost impossible to use—besides reading posts at certain times. FWIW I use, and post to several other forums—this is the only one where I have any posting problems.

This is OT, but

I have the same problems you report with posting to the forum - if I try to use Safari. I’ve had no trouble in Firefox and OmniWeb. But, my best experience is using a browser window in DT itself. That method is faster than anything else, very reliable (it is, after all, a collect call to the mothership :wink: ), and easy to make clippings from the forum into DT.

No trouble like that for me with Safari (on Leopard), though I always check “Log me on automatically each visit” any time there’s a reason to login again.

@ Eric: I downloaded the file from both the links you posted here. I first quit DTPO then I put the .scpt file in the DTPO package and the ‘cmd-shift-alt-A’ file in the proper DTPO folder in the Library.

I then relaunched DTPO and went to try it out. I selected a file and did the cmd-shift-option-A key combo and it initially brought up an error window then it brought up the new note ready for annotation. However, as can be seen in the screen grab below (you need to scroll down to see the dialog box), the fields aren’t filled in, there are only variables where hard data ought to be.

I’m running OS X 10.6.1, DTPO PB7 on an early 2009 Mac Mini.

Any suggestions?

Korm: Okay, I’m trying your suggestion by using DTP’s browser. Let’s see if this works.

I think about a month ago and earlier I was using OmniWeb and I don’t remember problems. But for about a month I’ve been using Safari with 10.6. Maybe that’s the key difference—but the forum “should” work with Safari and 10.6.

Now to see if everything posts okay!

Hooray—using the DT browser works just fine. It’s some Safari / DTP forum madness that seems to cause the problem.

@Eric

Thanks for the very useful addition to the toolbox. If an annotation is trashed the former address of that document remains in the URL field of the annotated document. Some sort of garbage cleanup might be useful to find orphan URLs when they are x-devonthink-items and remove them from the meta. (Verify, and Rebuild, don’t seem to do this.)

There’s also a wee bug in. If the original PDF has an apostrophe in the name, then the annotation is created without a link back to that file. (The link that appears at the top of the annotations RTF document.) It is necessary to manually create the link by going to the annotations document, selecting the text that should be a link, and using Link To. Maybe this is an applescript limitation or something needs to be escaped in the script?

Doesn’t work for me.

Maybe it’s because the library resides elsewhere?

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq’s Skitch

Ah, just found the solution. I arrived at the discussion late and only downloaded the last version of the script which lacks the second file contained in the first download. In this case, one of the two original scripts is missing, thus if you see an error message similar to the above, download the old version of the script, put the file “Template Script Additions.scpt” into the package content, restart DTPO and all is well.
Presumably.

I don’t understand. I do not get the “New with Template” option. My data menu is attached. I followed the directions. Any idea what I did wrong?
DTPmenu.tiff (117 KB)

Please ignore previous post. I understand now. Thanks for the script. It’s really, really great.