Cannot open an Excel Fille

It is quite ridiculous that double clicking an excel link in DT3 only opens a locked file which seems to be locked.
I was able to open it once with Data>>Open, I saved it and it became locked and my latest tab disappeared.
How do you open an excel file that shows an excel icon. Or can you recommed a better program in which to save links?

This is on a Mac running Mojave 10.14.6 with DT 3.04

It is unclear what you’re referring to. Please clarify.

Not Tommy, but I’m guessing he’s referring to the fact that if you double-click on an excel spreadsheet in D3, it opens a custom readonly view rather than opening the file in Excel. To do the latter, you have to select ‘Open With…’ from the file’s context menu.

I always end up pulling the spreadsheets I’m working on out of D3 so I can modify them easily, then moving them back into D3 for storage. Sucks if you use replicants, so I just don’t create them for spreadsheets. It’s far less annoying for me than having to remember to use the context-menu to open them every time I want to make edits. As usual, YMMV.

Welcome @dlove
There’s no need to pull the files out, edit them, and put them back :thinking:

1. Shift-Command-O to open with the system default application
  2. Preferences > General > Double-click opens documents externally

Thank you! I knew I must have been missing something simple. Not sure how I missed that option, but I’ll definitely take advantage of it!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: