Cannot open DEVONthink after hard drive disaster.

Had a disaster when renaming my hard drive. I tried renaming my main drive when the SuperDuper safety clone was set as the startup drive- obviously in hindsight not the thing to do :< Had to rebuild from a back-up. Now I cannot open DEVONthink, either from my rebuilt hard drive or 2 different back-ups when used as startup drives. I’ve tried trashing DEVONthink preferences and re-installing DEVONthink 1.9.6. Console keeps gives me the following message:

dyld: /Applications/DEVONthink.app/Contents/MacOS/DEVONthink can’t open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Can anyone advise me what to do next (I’m not a UNIX geek). Using OSX 3.9 at present on the Powerbook start-up drive. Used OSX 4.3 on my SuperDuper safety clone before this happened, but this went down as well! Both main and “safety clone” drives appeared to reformat in the form of a basic OSX installation - lost iCal calenders and my email files, amongst other things. I think that my DEVONthink files are there in back-up form.

TIA for feedback or assistance.

Looks like something’s still wrong with your system, e.g. the filesystem could be damaged, the installation of Mac OS X incomplete (e.g. /usr/lib/stdc++.dylib seems to be messing), some symbolic links could point to the wrong destination or some permissions might be incorrect.

I would recommend to check & repair both the file system (use Apple’s Disk Utility) and the file permissions of the startup volume and to reboot afterwards.

If that shouldn’t fix the problems, the only solution is probably to reinstall Mac OS X.

If repair permissions and Apple’s disk utility don’t work I’d try two other things in this sequence. Restart the computer and hold down the command and “s” keys before it chimes, continue to hold until a unix-like screen comes up. When the computer finishes writing text to the screen, type in “fsck -f” at the prompt and hit return (yes there is a space before the - sign). Wait until it completes, it may take a while. If errors are found, again type in “fsck -f” at the prompt and hit return. Do this until errors are no longer found (note: it may never quit finding errors…after 9 or 10 times it probably just isn’t going to work). When (if) it says the disk appears to be OK (or some message like that) type in “reboot -f” (again with the space), hit enter and wait for the computer to restart.

Now, even if that worked and especially if it didn’t, it would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of the program Disk Warrior and run it. If all else fails in the OSX world, Disk Warrior is the “go to guy.” I literally have never seen it fail to work unless parts of OSX are just not on the drive or there is physical damage to the drive.

Good luck,
ChemBob