Cannot search plain text or markdown

I’m new to DEVONthink To Go and while testing out the search capabilities, I noticed that I am unable to search the conrents of items saved as plain text or markdown.

If I create an item and save it as Plain text, Markdown, Formatted note, and Rich text - only the formatted note and rich text appear to be searchable.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks,

RK

What version of DTTG2 and iOS are you using?

Is this consistently reproducible?

Version 2.2.1 (16169)
iPad iOS 10.3.3 (14G60)

It is consistently reproducible. My brother also just started using DTTG2 and he’s experiencing the same issue using the same version and iOS.

Thanks. I reproduced it and am filing an issue.

This issue is fixed in the next major release (but requires reindexing of the database).

I stumbled across this post and think it is the same bevavior I recognize at the moment with DT3.

I’m trying to get a workaround for backlinks in Markdown and trying to use the search to get the md-document and it’s related links. But within DT3 I only could search in rendered text.

I can assure you it’s not the same behavior, as this is the DEVONthink to Go forum. I’d suggest creating a new post in the DEVONthink macOS forum describing the behavior you are experiencing with DEVONthink 3.

You are right :slight_smile: I’m switching over.

Mhm, I tried DTTG to check, if I’m doing something wrong and even DTTG wont find files with the search term in plaintext if it is not rendered. Can anybody confirm this?

First, please excuse me if I am resurrecting a too old of a thread. I’m looking for a quick solution and that is the thread which seems to fit my problem the best, even if It seems the problem has been resolved in the past.

I’m a new user to Devonthink. I’ve been creating notes and lists of terms for the past couple months using the desktop version - mostly in Markdown as it seems to be the fastest way to format this type of documents and I find it very convenient.

I’ve just discovered that when I search for the terms in DTTG it does find the markdown notes containing the terms, but it does not highlight the terms within the note nor does it allow me to skip to the locations of the term within the note. Is this the expected behavior?

Is there any workaround? Should I export the note to Pages or something similar?

Below you’ll find a screenshot illustrating the problem - I’ve blurred irrelevant parts leaving only the first instance of the search term visible. There are other instances, but there’s no way to jump to them quickly (and they are not highlighted either).

I’ve tried converting the note to searchable PDF and Rich Text Format but the results are identical - no highlight and no way to jump between the instances of the search term.

Yes, currently DEVONthink To Go does not (yet) highlight found search terms inside of documents. This is partly related to the old editor that we are currently replacing. Highlighting search terms inside of documents is definitely on the list.

Thank you very much for the prompt answer. I’ll wait for the update then.

If I may have a request, please add the way to go quickly between the instances of the search term within the document as well.