Can't get my scanner to work with DPTO

I use a HP C5280 and I try to get the scanner to work, but I fail. I describe the workflow:

1. In DTPO I go File > Import > Document (from ExactScan).

2. ExactScan start and I are asked to choose my scanner, I do so

3. a preference window in ExactScan opens for choosing different profiles. I choose one and click “scan”

4. ExactScan starts initializing the scanner and fails with an error “unexpected scanning error”

The scanner is installed and working with the HP scan software or when I scan with Acrobat Pro. I use 10.6.6 and DTPO 2.0.7.

How can I get my scanner to work within DTPO…???

Because scanner manufacturers write their driver software with loose attention to any ‘standard’, some scanners cannot be controlled by the procedures built into DT Pro Office.

However, there’s another way to set up your scanner to send scanner output (preferably PDF) to a folder in the Finder, which will then result in automatic OCR by DT Pro Office.

1. Create a new Finder folder that is to receive your scanner’s output. For the sake of illustration, I’ll call that folder “Harry”.

2. In the Finder, Control-click on “Harry” and choose the contextual submenu “Services”, then select “Folder Actions Setup”.

3. Choose the script named “DEVONthink - Import, OCR & Delete”. (It was installed at ~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ but should be visible for selection among the options presented in the Folder Actions Setup panel.)

4. Attach that script to “Harry”.

Now operate your scanner using its provided driver software after configuring it to save scanner output to “Harry”. DT Pro Office should be running.

Each time a new scanner output file is saved into “Harry”, the attached Folder Action script will send it to DT Pro Office for OCR and storage of the resulting searchable PDF, then send the original image file to the Trash. The folder “Harry” will therefore be emptied as each image-only PDF is sent to it and then forwarded to DT Pro Office for Import and OCR.

Note: You can check to make certain the Folder Action script triggered the action by switching to DT Pro Office. In the menubar, choose Window > OCR Activity.

THX for your advice. But I don’t know how to do this:

Perhaps anybody knows how to configure a default output folder for my scanner

You might wish to read your C5280 manual.

LOL. I wish. But if I had found an information I would not ask here.

I’ve never used an HP scanner, but the driver software that comes with every other Mac OS X compatible scanner Ive used allows me to choose the destination to which the output will be saved.

Where are your scan files going now? If you can’t figure out how to choose another destination, you can still create the “Harry” folder I described above, and drag them into Harry.