can't get PDF's to OCR using ScanSnap S1500

Another thing - here is a screenshot of the scanned troublesome document in Acrobat 9 (opened from within DTP) - with medatada.

This was scanned in at best (300.600) DPI.

Please attach that PDF to a message to Support and I’ll take a look at it.

Bill,
just sent two by email - the original scanned and OCRed by DTP, the other, opened in DTP and then OCRed in Acrobat 9 pro.
Joe

Bill,
the plot thickens…
I have just scanned in another document, this time an A4 one page letter, and it recognises it, even on the auto resolution settings!
then I scanned in a bank statement, which is slightly wider than A5, and it recognises the text in this also!
So i wondered if the problem was in my database, so i rescanned in the greenleaf essay to the other database, and, still the same problem…
could it be the size of the document I wonder, width?
FYI.
Joe

Hello,

I called ScanSnap support today in the UK. The guys were very helpful indeed.
Ran me though mostly things I had done before - but maybe not. I’m reasonably methodical, but you know when you think you’ve tried everything but may have missed something?

Anyway, he asked me to scan to desktop only and see if ScanSnap manager was working. I did this, and of course I selected recognise OCR as part of the ScanSnap manager option. When I dragged this into DTP Office, hey presto it worked!

So, I tried to scan it into DTP directly through scansnap, and, IT WORKED AGAIN! I’m totally puzzled as to why this should now work. The only thing I’ve changed is to OCR as part of ScanSnap Manager and then again as it imports to DTP. This takes longer, so not sure I’ve got to the bottom of it, but at least it works!

Thanks for all your help.

Joe Lafferty

It’s not necessary to OCR twice. Run OCR either with software that came with your ScanSnap, or with DTPO.