Can't open databases

Hi,

I am using the latest version of Devonthink Office Pro on a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz.
Latest software updates.

I am unable to open any of my databases. They all get stuck on “intiializing and verifying” with no visible progress on the progress bar.

I have to force quite the application and have lost access to my data.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ted

I can’t create a new database either, same problem. :imp:

Tried re-installing, still doing the same thing.

I can’t open a database or even create a new one.

ARRRGHGHGHGHHGH!!! :open_mouth:

Did you check your write permissions on your existing databases and where you want to create a new one? Also, the available disk space? And if all this doesn’t solve it: open the Console (Applications > Utilities), copy the entries related to DEVONthink and email support@devon-technologies.com.

Ah yes, logs, didn’t think of that:

Looks like maybe the ExactScan app is what is locking it? Whadda ya think?

Hmmm…

2/27/08 9:10:48 AM DEVONthink Pro[2890] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:10:48 AM DEVONthink Pro[2890] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:10:51 AM DEVONthink Pro[2890] User never wants to check for ScanSnap Manager support anymore.
2/27/08 9:10:51 AM DEVONthink Pro[2890] ExactScan application not found.
2/27/08 9:12:34 AM DEVONthink Pro[2903] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:12:34 AM DEVONthink Pro[2903] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:12:35 AM DEVONthink Pro[2903] User never wants to check for ScanSnap Manager support anymore.
2/27/08 9:12:35 AM DEVONthink Pro[2903] ExactScan application not found.
2/27/08 9:15:40 AM DEVONthink Pro[2941] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:15:40 AM DEVONthink Pro[2941] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:18:44 AM DEVONthink Pro[2941] User never wants to check for ScanSnap Manager support anymore.
2/27/08 9:18:44 AM DEVONthink Pro[2941] ExactScan application not found.
2/27/08 9:23:12 AM DEVONthink Pro[2980] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:23:12 AM DEVONthink Pro[2980] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:23:14 AM DEVONthink Pro[2980] User never wants to check for ScanSnap Manager support anymore.
2/27/08 9:23:14 AM DEVONthink Pro[2980] ExactScan application not found.
2/27/08 9:33:32 AM DEVONthink Pro[3086] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:33:32 AM DEVONthink Pro[3086] Custom ColorPicker class with name .com.freeverselib could not be loaded.

2/27/08 9:33:34 AM DEVONthink Pro[3086] User never wants to check for ScanSnap Manager support anymore.
2/27/08 9:33:35 AM DEVONthink Pro[3086] ExactScan application not found.
:confused:

Ted also sent a message to Support and we’ll work on his issue from there.

Yes, already done.

Thanks.

Now it’s opening, but very, very slowly… what used to take a few seconds now takes over a minute! Weird.

Whenever operations on a computer slow down, it’s a strong possibility that one has run out of free RAM and the subsequent processing of data has to use Apple’s Virtual Memory.

Virtual Memory is wonderful, because it allows processing to continue even when there’s no free RAM. But because it involves swapping data back an forth between RAM and the hard drive it is very much slower. Important: Apple engineers recommend keeping at least 10% to 20% of your hard drive’s capacity free, so that the system has room to write swap files and applications have room to write temporary files. If no free drive space remains, the OS may start overwriting and corrupting existing files.

Closing other open applications can help. Quitting and relaunching DEVONthink can sometimes help.

A restart will clear out any memory cobwebs that may have accumulated and at the same time make more RAM available to a desired procedure.

Activity Monitor is showing 900MB memory free with 50% cpu utilization. Several apps open. But, resources do not seem to be a problem.

It is really taking a long time to open anything. It is unusable at this point.

Ted, CPU use sounds high. You may have a “stuck” process hogging CPU resources.

It would be helpful (and faster) if you send a message to Support that includes more information.

Please include the following:

Size of the database (total words from File > Database Properties if you can open it, and the Finder file size).

Which DEVONthink application you are using, and the version number.

Your OS X version.

The list of extensions installed on your computer from System Profiler.

The amount of free drive space (from Activity Monitor). The amount of RAM on your computer,

If there’s a DEVONthink Pro crash log at ~/Library/Loqs/CrashReporter/ please attach it, as that can provide very useful information.

Without some specific information about your database and the environment on your computer, we’re flying blind.