Changing colors or Rich Text DevonThink3 Documents Problematic

----- Summary of issues:

1. Seem to have lost the ability to set background color for rich text documents in DevonThink 3
    color picker (worked in DevonThink 2)

2. Making background color dark doesn’t work for Rich Text documents that have lines indented using the document editing ruler. The left of each indented line has a white background and the everything to the right of the margins has whatever background color I set it to. There should be some way to set the document background color consistently.

3. Some kind of support for Rich Text in dark mode would be very helpful. Some ideas:

a) Let use choose or set a standard default background color (that is permanent so that ruler use doesn’t ruin it).

b) Create some kind of color migration wizard, for example one that could scan the colors
    for an existing document and let the user map each color to a specific color where
    optionally DevonThink could create a default ‘inverted’ palette (or let users select from a few)
    that would tend to make common documents look good against a dark background.

Explanation:

I upgraded to DevonThink 3 to get Dark Mode among other improvements, as all my apps have been adapted to dark mode for macOS.

Unfortunately my predominately black-text on white-background Rich Text docs from DevonThink 2 are now ‘loud’ and disconcerting next to the dark mode frame.

I wanted to manually convert some documents, but apparently the ‘Background [ ]’ checkbox is missing from the DevonThink 3 color picker, so I couldn’t figure out how to change background colors like I could with DevonThink 2.

So I tried converting the background of my document to a dark greyish in DevonThink 2 and I noticed that the the ruler margins don’t follow the document background color so I have a very jagged blocky white left edge for all the indented lines and then the background color to the right.

I upgraded to DevonThink 3 to get Dark Mode among other improvements, as all my apps have been adapted to dark mode for macOS.

Remember: DEVONthink 3 is in beta testing, meant for testing, finding and reporting bugs. It should not be used in mission-critical or production environments.When beta testing, it’s always wise to use copies of data or test data. I personally also advocate running DEVONthink 3 on a separate macOS User account to keep things isolated. Your data, your choice - but I always err on the side of caution with peoples’ data.

So I tried converting the background of my document to a dark greyish in DevonThink 2 and I noticed that the the ruler margins don’t follow the document background color so I have a very jagged blocky white left edge for all the indented lines and then the background color to the right.

I am not seeing this behavior here. Can you post a screencap?

I guess I’m carrying on this same basic dialog in two threads. Already posted the reply in the other, but since the other was a reply to a thread, maybe this is a better place to discuss it.

Here’s what I’m seeing now:

First, I started with a document of solid white background, and black text and violet text titles.

I pop up the font panel, select all, set the background color but it only changes the background in the left margin. (That margin contains the paragraph indentations via the overbar and L.H.S. triangle slider in the ruler that makes it ‘jagged’).

Somehow I’m in a mode where, rather than seeing the ruler, I have the rich text editor palette, so I noticed there was an option to set the text background there as well, and when I set that color, it changes all the text to the right of the ‘indentation’ margin. That’s how I wound up with grey background on the left and blue background on the right. But at least I don’t have to bounce into v2 now.

So I was able to get it solid grey backgound by first using the menu bar editor:

Then I was able to get the identical grey in the margin by using the font editor pop up and using the eyedropper. Hey, better than nothing, I guess… Seems like between those two ways of editing background color you have everything you need to get it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is now possible via the Format bar, the result should be identical to the one of version 2 as only the background color of the selection is set, not the document background color.