Changing To Linked Images

I have a large collection of image files within my DEVONthink database. Up till now my Image Preference was set at “Copy files to database folder”. I would like to change this to “Link to originals”.

I have the images organized by folders within DEVONthink. I am hoping to avoid having to go through each folder and individually delete, then find and link each image.

Does DEVONthink provide a function to do this another way?

Gerry

Just an idea: Why not export all images as files and folders, than deleting them in DT, then re-importing them to DT. You’d better check whether you need to delete all “devonstorage” files that keep metadata about the images, because it maybe that with these informtions the images will be imported into the database folder again.

Can you report about your experiences?

Maria

Thank you Maria. That is a wonderful idea. Such a simple solution … I am embarrassed I didn’t think of it myself. I will conduct an experiment with a couple of folders to check the results.

What are the “devonstorage” files that keep metadata about the images? And where are they located?

I will report back.

Gerry

Maria,

Your suggested method seems to work just fine. I’ve done some tests with a collection of image folders. The re-imported folders have their original organized structure, but now contain links to the image files. The process also maintained my original comments entered for each image via Tools > Show Info.

I’d still like a confimation from DEVONtechnologies, but this looks like a good solution.

Gerry

These files are stored in each exported folder and subfolder, they contain all metadata of your data in the respective folder (URL, comments, path etc.). You should see them in each folder you exported.

Fine, so the devonstorage files worked as they should

:smiley:

Best,
Maria

This is also the solution we would recommend – simple, straightforward, safe.

Best,

Eric.

Thank you Eric.

Since the “DEVONtech_storage” files contain all metadata of the exported folders, I assume these files should be left in place until after I re-import the folders with my new link images preference. Otherwise I would lose my URLs and comments entered for the original image files. Once the re-import is complete, I can delete the DEVONtech_storage files that were exported. Is this correct?

Gerry

Yes, exactly. The easiest way of doing this is to use the Finder’s toolbar search function.

Best,

Eric.