"Check for Updates" does not work w. DT Personal

I am running DEVONthink Personal v. 2.8.1 and want to update to v. 2.8.4 on a MacBook Pro w. Retina running OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

I noticed my auto-update check feature has not been notifying me of current updates. When I tried to manually update either via Preferences > Update, or the “Check for Updates” main menu item, nothing happens.

The update feature is working fine on my other Mac running OS 10.7.8 (Lion).

Can this be fixed or should I just manually download the current version from the DT website and do a manual install? Thanks.

It might be something as simple as the ‘Ignore this update’ option was set somehow, so perhaps manually downloading the update is necessary this time.

Thanks Greg, but I don’t think that’s it. I always update when notified and this doesn’t explain why it will not check for updates when I manually attempt to check.

Seems I read somewhere that there may be an issue w. DTP concerning pop-up windows not appearing w. Apple’s Retina display. I noticed on my other (non-Retina) Mac a pop-up window appears when checking for updates. Wonder if this is the problem? Thanks.

If DEVONthink has been set to ignore a particular update, then it will not prompt the user that an update is available until a newer update becomes available in the future. So if I were to ignore the 2.8.4 on my Mac, I would not be informed again of an update, even if I check manually, until a release later than 2.8.4 becomes available.

This doesn’t explain how DEVONthink was (perhaps, perhaps not) set to ignore this update on your particular Mac, but I don’t think the retina display would be the problem. Given the sheer number of retina Macs out there now, I expect a problem like that would have been discovered before now.

Thanks again, Greg

Looks like I will try downloading the current version of DTP and reinstalling it.

Hopefully I can just “Replace” the app and all my prefs and the database will be recognized by the new install. Ya think? :unamused:

Absolutely, just overwrite the app and everything else will be just fine. I ‘update’ this way all the time when beta testing new releases of DEVONthink Pro Office.

Dear all,

I have the same problem - and I know that I didn’t set any “ignore this update” options. I have DevonThink Pro v. 2.8.9 and I’ve just manually checked that 2.8.10 is available. I hope the update will fix this bug!

Regards,

Nic

Hello Nic,
I had to reinstall DT in order for the update feature to work again. So, you are on the right track.