Clarification on using smart rule / "on import"-trigger

I’d like to add what I have mentioned in similar threads before: In my experience triggers like “On Import” or “On Create” or “On Move” in some cases do not work reliably. Sadly, I can’t get more specific than “in some cases”. These triggers are neither broken in general (of course they are not) nor could I spot a malfunction pattern.

Since version 3.5 DEVONthink allows multiple triggers and therefore I’d suggest to add an interval trigger like “Every Minute” (or even use it as the sole trigger) if possible.

“If possible” meaning: Adding an “Every Minute” trigger to Blanc’s test rule would directly lead into mayhem as it would make pop up alert windows minütlich and per item. But it would suit UlrichC’s move action well because it would affect every item only once.

I’d like to elaborate on this. Here’s what I did with a Deutsche Telekom invoice:

1. defined a smart rule “on import” and the condition “content is” “FESTNETZ RECHNUNG FÜR” (yes, they’re shouting – probably to make sure that we hear them and pay)

this one is executed exactly as desired: when I import the file from the file system, the action runs. this is regardless of quoting, i.e. quotes or not, the “content is” string is evaluated exactly the same

1. Like @UlrichC before, I added a second condition to the first one, namely “filename ends with .pdf”. The conditions are set to “all”.

in this case, the rule does not fire on import regardless of the quoting of the text. It also does not fire manually!

However, in both settings, the smart rule shows that it matches exactly this file which is still sitting in the global inbox. In my test, I used “show warning” as the only action.

Something funny is definitely going one here. If quotes are required around “phrases”, as @BLUEFROG said, then they should be required regardless of any other condition. I suggest some more investigation.

I have had to enclose some terms in asterisks (or had to add one at the beginning or end of the term) - try :wink:

Did you try dancing around the computer on one leg while singing the Marseillaise? Occasionally, that might help, too.

Du Vogel :crazy_face:

My French is hopeless, so that might not be so successful;)

I actually breakdance around mine to Aerosmith / Run DMC’s “Walk This Way” :stuck_out_tongue: