Classify Across Databases

Devonthink is integral to everything I do. I have several databases but my files go into the global inbox - any chance we could get the aug-classify to work across the open databases? Currently have to do this manually which is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the feedback! It’s unfortunately still scheduled for an upcoming release, see See also across databases

That is a 3 year old thread! Are you kidding?!

I was close to contact the support, because the classify is not working. I use DTPO now for 6 weeks (2 weeks trial and bought it some weeks ago) and was really annoyed as it is not classifying my files at all. I thought it will take more time (also the support was writing that), so I was searching for a solution and found that.

I use 3 databases and I have to move the files from the global inbox again and again. Sorry to say that, but then I don’t need the “glorious AI” and Devonthink is useless, because if I start moving files, then I can move it directly to the folder I need it.

Also I’m not into sripting, so the folder actions are also useless as I have some steps to do afterwards, as the files got stored in the global inbox, then move to the inbox of the right database and then classify. Why should I use then the folder actions? If I import it manually, it is in the inbox I want.

So, what is the benefit here, if I have to do everything manually?

One way of addressing this is to have very few databases (I have two - Personal and Work - but I could manage with one) and lots of groups and sub-groups. Then, once the groups have a few files in them, Classify (and the rest of the AI) works brilliantly.

Another piece of advice is to have Tools > Show Groups and Tags permanently open: filing then becomes very easy.

Maybe I don’t get you…

In the global inbox AI is not working. So, if I have to file them manually, where is the benefit of an AI?

The point is, I don’t want to use the sorter or manually import the files. So I use a folder action. But all the files are in the global inbox then. From there, I have to sort them into the different inboxes of the databases. Open the inboxes there and then the files are classified. Fine.

Let me say I have 3 files, each for every database. Import happens and they are in the global inbox. I have to move each file to the different inboxes. There I have to click on the inbox, then on the file, then the hat-button and if the right folder is shown, right click and it is moved to that folder. 5 Steps each file.

Other way is to sort it directly to the folder I want. 1 Step each file.

If I’m wrong, please correct me or let me know how to use it with less effort. Maybe I’ve overseen something…

Personally, I prefer that the AI assistants not work across databases.

I work with topically designed databases. An example I often cite is my main database and a secondary database that is related to it, but deals with a variant of the topic.

My main database contains tens of thousands of references and several thousand of my notes. The secondary database contains content related to the general topics of the main database but deals with methodological materials.

For example, if I invoke See Also while viewing a paper on the potential health impacts of mercury in edible fish (main database), See Also doesn’t pop up references contained in the secondary database that refer to sampling, analytical and data evaluation procedures related to mercury in fish. I’m happy that See Also doesn’t do that. I wouldn’t want that.

Now I know what you prefer, but it does not answer my question… :wink:

With Devonthink I have more work as without. And I don’t think this should be the case.

Again, maybe I have a complete wrong workflow or I do not see something… :slight_smile:

I rarely do captures to the Global Inbox.

With Preferences > Import - Destination set to “Select group”, most capture options let me choose the target database and group.

Another alternative is to use the Groups & Tags panel to capture items from the Finder to any group in any open database, or to move items from the Global Inbox. This is a floating panel, and there’s a keyboard shortcut for it.

I agree with Bill here. The Global Inbox is a good thing but it’s usually used inappropriately. Generally when capturing data you have some idea of where you’d want to store it. You may have a database of automobiles and when you capture a picture of a new Lamborghini Sesto Elemento, it’s better to send it to the Automobiles.dtBase2 instead of the Global Inbox. Now for the picture of a piglet and a kitten sleeping under a tree together, that may be unfocused enough to toss it in the Global Inbox, hopefully remembering to deal with it later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Sesto_Elemento For your viewing pleasure. ;^)

I merged now the databases (made a copy of the old ones, just in case), so I have only one. But now, the global inbox is useless now, I would say… I’m asking now again, it might be I have the wrong workflow and this is the reason I have some problems. So please correct me if I’m wrong.

The point is, I do not want to do things manually if I have the possibility to use a kind of automated system. I was asking in another thread already, but is there a possibility to have a import script (folder action) that is importing only specific files like pdf and microsoft files? I use my download folder actually for everything as the most invoices are downloaded. So it would be great to leave other files in the folder and import the pdfs only. For the rest I can use the “Inbox” folder if needed. The actual script is excluding files types, but this would cause a lot work…

Second, can I import (folder action) then the files directly into the db-inbox instead of the global inbox? So I would use this one then as the “Inbox” folder or is there a possibility to change the behaviour of this folder?

Many thanks in advance!

brasax