Clip to Devonthink creating webloc file instead of selected format

Recently when I try to clip a webpage, I get a webloc file regardless of the format I select (paginated PDF, Rich Text, HTML page). I updated recently to 3.7.2; I think the problem may have started then. I’m running Catalina 10.15.7.

This has been covered many times in the forums.
If you’re getting persistent bookmarks when capturing as other formats, reboot the machine.

Thanks, that did it. I did try searching the forums but couldn’t find this issue. I must not have been using the right terminology.

No worries and you’re welcome.

I’ve been noticing this for several months now, running Monterey on an M1 Mac. About half the time, my first attempt at clipping using the Safari extension gives me a bookmark/webloc. If I immediately do exactly the same thing again, I get the correct format. Rebooting my fix a temporary early but the problem always comes back.

How fast is your Internet connection? Do you have any URLs that break it?

I have fiber. It’s a perfectly respectable Internet connection. I’m not using my ISP’s default DNS—mine is set to OpenDNS and Google servers.

Not sure what you mean by “Do you have any URLs that break it”, but it seems to happen all over the place.

I can’t help thinking it’s a clue that if I immediately do the clip again it happens correctly. Always. Something to do with caching, perhaps? Is there any hidden preference to change the timeout-and-fallback-to-webloc interval to something more generous?

It’s not happening over, therefore it’s either related to the websites (and therefore URLs would be useful) or to the network (although unlikely in case of fiber).

And what if you switch back to your ISP DNS servers?

If it’s the specific websites, then why would it always work the second time? But since you and other responders keep asking, there’s a smattering from the last month or so. I collected these from my trash, where I throw the unwanted weblocs. This is only a very small representation. I have dozens.

https://brownstone.org/articles/anthony-faucis-very-bad-week/https://naturalselections.substack.com/p/apparently-were-the-bad-guys

https://sonomono.jp/en/natto-hakase/natto-hakase-43/

Good suggestion, I’ll try that, but my experience for many years is that ISP DNS is usually inferior.

E.g. due to caching. The first attempt loads already data until the timeout (just guessing) stops it, the second attempt is therefore faster. A screenshot of the used clipping settings of the Sorter would be helpful, thanks.

1 Like

Um… I don’t use the Sorter, just the browser add-ons, which I just discovered appear to trigger the Sorter. Here’s a screenshot of the settings, although I’ve tried Clutter Free both ways, doesn’t seem to help. Also previewing the page before saving doesn’t always help (I was hoping that would give it more time to do the cache).

Screen Shot 12

Clipping is done via the Sorter.

• Are you using a VPN?
  • Are you using any custom network settings, e.g., non-ISP DNS servers ?

Clipping is always performed the same way, no matter how it’s triggered (e.g. via browser extensions, bookmarklets, sharing extension or Sorter).

For years i have the same issues as “cavenewt” describes it. I can’t remember that “Clip to Devonthink” ever worked “as advertised”!
I don’t use a VPN. I have a fast 250/40 MB/sec Connection.I don’t use any custom network settings. I use a pretty fast 32/2000 M2ProMini. I use “Deutsche Telekom ISP DNS server” and i tried 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8!
But i always want a .pdf and what i get is always a .webloc from every webpage, e.g. THIS ONE:

“Clip to Devonthink creating webloc file instead of selected format - DEVONthink - DEVONtechnologies Community.webloc”

Is there anything i can do to get .pdf?

In what browser on what OS?

Now 14.1.1, but in 13 and 12 it also always brought only .webloc! Always Safari …

Clutter-free or not?

Do you always clip from the same websites? Some example URLs plus a screenshot of the clipping settings would be useful, thanks.