Close to buying DT, have data sustainability (ie lock-in) concerns , appreciate community thoughts :)

Check Preferences > Import > Tags for options, and the related help:

thx @korm!

I saw that but assumed thatā€™s when you import a file rather set the tags inside devonthink. Am I wrong?

thx

Z

Youā€™re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

This I donā€™t know. MMD tags seems to be something new and still not being fully explored. But if you ever get your hands on Multimarkdown Composer or nvUltra, I know that they can keep macOS tags and MMD tags in sync.

You could also write an applescript and tie it to a smart rule to read the content of your file and apply changes to DT3 metadata fields. There will be some work involved thought.

Aha, before I could finish @korm reminded us that DT3 can also do something similar.

If you import this file. youā€™ll get two tags assigned.

#margarine
#fruit

Screenshot of Drafts (1-16-20, 5-19-12 PM)

As always questions like this can be answered by experimenting with DEVONthink (or any other software) ā€“ itā€™s fun, painless, and will harm nothing :slight_smile:

thx again @krom.
I may still be misunderstanding and I apologize if I do . Im asking happens if you already imported the file and then added more tags in devonthink via the markdown editor.
So in your example add a
tags: #potato
will devonthink pick that tag somehow? Or do I need to manually reimport the file?
hope that makes sense, sorry for being slow :smiley:
best

Z

Of course it works.

Screenshot of DEVONthink 3 (1-16-20, 7-36-35 PM)

Iā€™m curious ā€” you bought DEVONthink but you havenā€™t used it yet?

haha @korm, indeed I bought it a week ago and been learning it ever sinceā€¦one step at a timeā€¦:wink:

Im in the process of understanding how to convert my literally thousands of notes from emacs/orgmode syntax to markdown while keeping all the tags and properties etc :slight_smile: thatā€™s why im taking time studying devonthink to see how to accommodate thatā€¦any tips welcome :smiley:

thx again

Z

There is no specific support for orgmode Tags, i.e., :someTag:.
However, it would likely be possible to write AppleScripts to accomplish a conversion from conforming tags to DEVONthink tags.

Congrats, good investment! :wink:

• If you want to archive your metadata, then like @Bernardo_V said, select these files and Tools-Create Metadata Overview. It stores all metadata including tags and custom MD
  • If you want to pull tags out of your MD files, then import, and after that make a script to pull tags out from your MD files and assign as tags, as @BLUEFROG said

Iā€™d recommend to learn about Custom MD before developing a script and make some ā€œrootā€ and important tags as Custom Metadata fields.

iā€™d love to know more about this! may i ask what you mean by pollute? i use multimarkdown composer and iā€™m dying to get my hands on nvultra!

i appreciate having the metadata section at the top of my file, but iā€™m still in the process of setting up my workflowā€”sometimes called procrastination! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

perhaps there is a side effect of adding tags in my text files i have not considered.

Hi @Sylvaticus ,

actually this might not be an issue at all to you. In my case, I was thinking specifically about keeping aliases as part of the metadata in the mmd file header, but the list can sometimes grow quite big. Hence the clutter/pollution I mentioned.

1 Like

@Bernardo_V,

interesting. i have yet to make any kind of aliasesā€”didnā€™t even know about them till i read your post.

iā€™m starting my own research project with aristotle and aquinas (plus another side project) and your article blew my mind! iā€™m not sure if i can use it, but i certainly need to figure out what you did! the idea seems brilliant and useful!

now iā€™m a little worried about multimarkdown composer, but iā€™m pretty committed to multimarkdown.

is your problem that the word you would use as a tag is also a form that appears in your list of aliases, and that interferes with what devonthink is doingā€¦that tags and aliases have to be unique for the magic to work?

latin has the same issue as greek: itā€™s an inflected language. and while most of my tags are in english, i do have some latin tags (and, of course, some english words are taken directly from latin). adding aliases for every word in aquinas would certainly guarantee this ā€œpollution.ā€

if i were to add greek, i suspect iā€™d transliterate the greek for tags, so maybe iā€™d escape problem thereā€”but the latin would trip me up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My problem is very simple: I just donā€™t like opening my text file and having to scroll down to read whatā€™s in it.

These are very different things. You can apply the same tag to several files, but you should not have the same alias in more than one file. Otherwise, how will the software know where to take you when you click on the link generated by that alias?

1 Like

I moved to DT from Evernote about five years ago and have never looked back. The support has been incredible, some of the best Iā€™ve ever experienced from any company.

DT does not mess around with my files which means I have complete confidence that Iā€™m not locked in. But I donā€™t want to move.

When they came out with DTTG for iOS the whole thing got way way better.

I didnā€™t mind paying for the DT3 upgrade, how else do you expect them to generate revenue?

They avoided going to the subscription model, a nasty virus infecting the entire computing industry.

Iā€™m a very happy customer.

3 Likes