Cloudkit, Database Location Issue

I continue to get an error message on my laptop when I try to open a database: “Databases can’t be located in cloud folders.” My databases open and function properly on my desktop. This problem occurs when I try to open a database on my laptop. I switched to cloudkit over a year ago and had everything working. Something has changed and not the laptop will not open any of my databases. Any checks to verify the cloudkit settings on my laptop?

Cloudkit is not a database location; it’s a sync function

Your databases are located in a specific Finder folder
There is a default location in your laptop storage
but you can use any folder (not the cloud)

1 Like

“Something changed” years ago and this has been discussed many times on our blog, FAQ, the documentation, and on these forums.

You cannot and should not put your databases in any
cloud-synced location or you could irreparably damage them. That’s why DEVONthink explicitly disallowed the behavior at least five years ago.
With the exception of the Global Inbox, put them in the Databases folder in your home directory.

1 Like

Understood, and I read that a number of times. The databases are in the ‘Databases’ folder on my desktop and my laptop. The problem is that it wants to look for the Dropbox folder to find a database, I need to redirect DT to my databases folder. This is the problem I am having. I haven’t been able to find the setting to do this. Do I need to delete the Cloudkit and start over? This is the only option that I can think of.

Thanks,
John

Please clarify who wants to look for the Dropbox folder. Are you using the File > Open Recent menu or the Recent Databases section of the Navigate sidebar?

My desktop works fine when I select either open database or recent database. The issue with my laptop is that it doesn’t recognize the databases in the ‘Databases’ folder. It is listing the backup databases which are in a Dropbox folder. Should the backup folder also be in the ‘Databases’ folder? Not sure if my laptop is set up correctly with Cloudkit. Should I remove it and set it up again to double check settings?

Thanks,
John

I am opening each database on my laptop from the Dtabases folder. This puts the databases in the ‘Local’ column in the Sync window of Preferences. Once downloaded, I should have all databases listed here. I think this is what I didn’t do before?
Question, do I need to move the backup folder to the ‘Databases’ folder on my laptop?

Thanks,
John

Open a support ticket and include screen captures of what you’re looking at.