Cloudkit Sync - icloud storage full

Hi,

Does cloudkit sync affect icloud storage?

Over the last few days, I’ve been syncing via cloudkit all of my database from dt3 to dttg3 - some 100+ gb in total. I haven’t encountered any major problems (besides an error I described in a different post). However, my icloud storage (200gb) is now full, and cloudkit syncing is not working.

When I look at my icloud storage, I see that DEVONthink To Go takes up 136.2 GB. I’m not sure what this is. I only use one mobile device, and iPad, and I currently have both DTTG2 and DTTG3 installed - I’m in the midst of migrating all of my databases from one to the other. I’m not sure what the DEVONthink to Go storage entails, since the icon is the old DTTG2 icon, and there is no icon for DTTG3. I’ve attached a screenshot below.

Can I delete the DEVONthink to go storage? Do I have to increase my icloud data usage? Should I just switch over to direct sync when syncing databases for the first time? Thanks!

Sure it does; see here for example. I would guess it is perfectly possible that both DTTG2 and DTTG3 are taking up space, though. I don’t know how to check that, but @BLUEFROG will certainly have the answer handy when he next passes by :slight_smile:

(To the best of my knowledge, CloudKit is just a “description” of the method used to get data to or from iCloud; so the post I quoted, which obviously applied to iCloud legacy sync, still holds true).

Do you still have a legacy sync location active or not cleaned?

No - I didn’t use icloud sync before dttg3, just direct sync.

Do you have a Mac syncing?

Yes

And was the Mac using a legacy sync at any time?

Yes. I tried using it when I first started using DEVONthink a few years ago. I then switched to direct sync.

Then it’s likely you have old sync data on Apple’s servers.

The only option would be to disable CloudKit syncing (in DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go) and delete the sync data on Apple’s servers.

On the Mac, go into System Preferences > iCloud and click the Manage button. Select DEVONthink To Go then click the Delete documents and data button.
This preference doesn’t give a realtime view of the deletion process, so close and return to the Manage section occasionally to check the process. Once iCloud has removed the data from Apple’s server, the DEVONthink To Go entry will disappear.

After the data has been removed, you can enable syncing Cloudkit on the Mac and sync one database at a time for the initial sync.

1 Like

This approach saved me. Thanks.

iCloud thought that I used 12.7GB, whereas in reality after this clean-up, I use 2.1GB. Saves me 2$ per month that I’d happily invest in the next DT version… :slight_smile:
It’s sad though to see how poor storage can be managed on iCloud…

You’re welcome :slight_smile: