Cloudkit sync + indexed Dropbox folder - is this a good idea?

Hello,

So, I bought DEVONthink :confetti_ball:, but I now realized that I have some documents that I need to share with my partner.

The only idea I got was to add the files & folders (home & family related documents) in Dropbox and then index this folder in DT3.

Now, I’m not sure this is a good idea so here are some questions I’m having :

1. Are the files from Dropbox copied into DT3 or only indexed for searching ?
  2. Can I OCR a PDF document if it is in an indexed folder ?
  3. Will Dropbox sync have any issues with the fact that some files are indexed in DT3 ?
  4. The indexed files are available on DEVONthink To Go ?

I’m sorry if my questions are dumb, but I did not had the courage to test this, so I choose to ask first :slight_smile:

If you have other suggestions for sharing files with someone else while still have them in DT3, don’t hesitate :wink:

Thanks in advance :+1:

The only dumb questions are the necessary ones that remain unasked. :slight_smile:

And what you’re asking about is a common method people use for sharing some data but still using it within the DEVONthink ecosystem.

1. Are the files from Dropbox copied into DT3 or only indexed for searching ?

If you’re indexing, they’re referenced in place.
However, I suggest you read and understand Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing, espcially the Indexing and the filesystem section, before committing to indexing.

1. Can I OCR a PDF document if it is in an indexed folder ?

Yes.

1. Will Dropbox sync have any issues with the fact that some files are indexed in DT3 ?

See Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync > Indexing and Sync.

1. The indexed files are available on DEVONthink To Go ?

DEVONthink To Go doesn’t support indexed files, i.e., the files won’t be pointing to your Dropbox folder. However, the files will be available in the application and it has no effect on the indexed state of the files in DEVONthink.

1 Like

Thank you

I’ll go read the docs - thanks for telling me where to look :slight_smile:

Definitely read the documentation … to assure you, FYI, I’ve been working with files in the Mac’s Dropbox folder and indexed to DEVONthink for many years. I do for same reason as you, to share the source files.

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Thank you, that’s very reassuring :slight_smile: