Completed Crash- Software will not even open

Hi,

Devonthink 3 on my MacOs Catalina MacBooPro was working fine until one of my databases became corrupt. I tried to restore back up but that even made things worse as now Devonthink won’t even open.

I turned off my computer after reinstalling the software.

If Devonthink won’t open, then I cannot use it anymore.

I have been using the software for several years and I can expect a complete database meltdown every 6 months where I have to create a new database and drag all the folders and files that I can salvage from the destroyed or backed up files.

For me, the only solution going forward will be to save daily a complete backup of each database (I have 5) and this will give me the insurance of safety.

I am considering other alternatives to my workflow as this has happened around 4-5 times to date.

Now the software will not even open so I am at a complete loss.

Do you have any suggestions?

The very best,
-BrianP

Hi,
I restored from Time Machine backup and everything seems to work.

Thank goodness for Time Machine!

So all is resolved.

Not sure what caused the database to become corrupt.

The very bests,
-BrianP

As this is highly unusual, especially that frequently, is was wondering whether your computer crashes/freezes sometimes or whether you use force quit sometimes to kill DEVONthink? What kind of MacBook Pro do you use and is there enough disk space?

Hi,

I have MacBookPro from acBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I do get this message whenever I start up any of the databases

There is nothing unusual here. This warning usually occurs:

1. After DEVONthink has terminated abnormally (crash or force quit)
  2. When trying to access a database already open by another person (as DEVONthink is ​not ​made for multi-User simultaneous access)​
  3. If you have DEVONthink 2 and 3 open at the same time. Note: You should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 on the same account, on the same machine. At a minimum, you should delete DEVONthink 2.x from the /Applications folder and reboot the machine.
  4. If you were trying to open multiple copies of the same database, including databases that have the same UUID.
    Note: This condition is caused by copying and renaming a .dtBase2 file in the Finder, and should not be done.