Concordance disapppears!

Ok this is what happened - as soon as I’d removed all other files also in the inbox database, the problem disappeared…

I put them back, and the problem reappeared.

After some experimenting, It turned out to be the presence of the original pdf file, that I converted to Plain Text files … that was sitting in the inbox.

This had a role in blocking the concordance.

So it looks like there’s no inherent issue with the inbox.

But there is some obscure factor between pdf and txt files that leads to the concordance disappearing.

The issue then went after moving the original pdf file to a different location, and then back. That seems to have refreshed something important…

It all displays correctly now…

I will just check now and see if I can reproduce it

Thanks for the diligent follow-ups. It’s indeed a new and strange issue we haven’t seen.

I will keep you posted if I see again, but currently I can’t reproduce that errant state at the moment.

If it happens again, I’ll see if I can recognise the pattern.

Either way, it looks I can move around the relevant files to cure it :slight_smile:

Thanks for everyones assistance

New instance of missing concordance noted… I pasted text into a new DT text file.

I started to remove words and add tags from the concordance cloud, then … nothing - the concordance went.

This time it was different from before:
(1) Once the non display event occurred the blank status stuck …
(2) I could get it to come and go by adding and removing files to the database
(3) Unfortunately I could not pin it down to a specific file
(4) More files led to a greater likelihood of it not displaying…
(5) No pdf involved.
(6) The issue would only start after I tag wanted words (or hide others) from the concordance
(7) Once this has happened DT ‘knows’ this cluster of words and all files with them struggle to display concordance.
(8) IF the errant file is transferred to a solitary database - everything then reverts to working fine.

Opinions on the nature of the issue:
(1) It does not appear to be specific characters causing issues
(2) It does not appear to be some special or odd arrangement of words
(3) An interaction with other files in the local database environment appears to be going on
(4) The interaction is complex … so really difficult to pin down.
(5) TAGS and tagging from concordance is playing a key role…

Focussing on (5), I noted the changing the file environment in the database would change text weightings in concordance.

This looks to be evidence of a background process that interacts with the concordance display.

This background process depends on adding and removing files to the database it is in.

If I add too many files the concordance image is ‘boomph’ - its gone!!

Attached is the concordance image changing for this errant text file - as I add and remove files to its database. I do this 3 times.

Question: does something get out of step when the words change size ? ( wild guess - eg word scaling going to zero or infinity preventing display )

This shouldn’t make a difference but you could use the list to verify whether the concordance exists or not.

Thanks for your reply - yes the list does exist…
(incidentally, yesterday I had done a database rebuild of the inbox, but it made no difference)

I can report today the errant text file (which I kept in its own database) can now be dragged back into the inbox database. Now the concordance is back !

Very very hard to explain…

But at the same time the cloud was empty? Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Sorry I didn’t look at the posts for a bit. When I see this behaviour again, I will do “Report Bug”.

My best workaround so far, is to delete the file if the cloud goes (normally it when I’m adding tags from the cloud). Then drag again the file from an external folder. Avoiding the exact sequence that nuked the cloud.

And yes, the list is there, but the cloud is empty.

1 Like

Hi - concordance is gone again… have just sent a “Report Bug” with a link to here.

Circumstances - a couple of page pdf. I was simply adding tags by right-clicking “List” to add them. After maybe 10 tags, I looked over to “Cloud”. It was blank…

For that pdf:

Here’s the corresponding “list” which looks normal…

Here’s its “cloud” which doesn’t.