Configuring Devonthink Pro 3 with Scansnap Home / ix1500

Indeed! We generally tell people to leave the software at the suggest default, which is usually in the Docs folder or the ~/Pictures folder but yours will work as well. Just not in the Global Inbox directly in the Finder.

Since the old blog is outdated, can we have new updated one published soon? I guess lots of users would be benefited by it.

1 Like

We don’t say “soon”, as it means different things to different people. Many think it means Now. But yes, we will likely issue an updated version at some point.

Bluefrog, Can you explain why you recommend not using the global inbox to receive scans? I’ve been using this as my default location for scans since setting up the ix1500 a few months ago. Seems to work fine.

Remember: We are not talking about DEVONthink’s Preferences > Import > Destination.
We are talking about people pointing an external scanning application at the Inbox alias in the Finder. that should NOT be used.

The Global Inbox is a dynamic location in the Finder. It receives a file, then moves it into the Global Inbox’s inertnal structure. When the external application goes to process the file, it’s no longer there.

This thread in Devonthink last August mentions Vuescan
"I have a Fujitsu iX500 and ScanSnap Home refuses to recognize the scanner under Catalina. However VueScan does recognize the iX500 and offers far more control over the scans than Fujitsu’s ScanSnap software ever did.

I still hope to get ScanSnap working again!"

(Read the thread for other comments)

I followed the instructions and it works well for me - thank you!

However, after importing the scanned PDF and going through the OCR process, DEVONthinks shows a small preview windows (where you can enter the tags etc.) and asks for confirmation (“save”) before storing the document.

Is there a way to skip this step and automatically import the scanned PDF without further “questions” ?

Thanks!

Welcome @metamind

Disable Preferences > OCR > Searchable PDF > Enter metadata after text recognition.

Thanks for this post. Just got an IX1500 and things are working great. Sad to retire my S500m :slight_smile:

Welcome @anibru
Glad to hear things are working well.
My condolences for the old scanner :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in exactly the same situation (goodbye perfectly functional old scanner), hello ix1500. 6 months later, is there an “official” guide for this setup somewhere?

Welcome @Gajah
Are you using ScanSnap Home?

Yes, I’m using SS Home. I expected there to be a plug-in or something so DT3 would be listed in the applications.

No there is no such plug-in (and never has been). Just edit a ScanSnap profile and set it to save to a file and the Send to set to DEVONthink 3.

You may have to add the application in ScanSnap Home’s Preferences > Applications first.

I followed these directions exactly. However it does not allow me to save. Under “Managing options” I selected Mac (Scan to file). There is a “Save to” line under that. It is grayed out and if I select “Browse” I am not sure what to select. I selected Devonthink 3 under “Application” (settings here is grayed out). When I click add I get the following message: An invalid folder is specified for the save destination.

The access rights are properly configured or check the status of the network connection and the server.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for assistance.

Select a folder in your Home folder, such as Pictures, or Documents. You’re trying to save to the DT application folder, which is not what you want

1 Like

Thanks so much for this! Perfectly concise and clear!

Thank you all for the detailed step-by-step directions and constructive discussion.

I just wanted to hear thoughts on the OCR engine in DT3 vs that that comes bundled with the ix1500. For several years I have been using the full version of FineReader Pro, which creates smaller files, but I have had to work with Hazel and a series of folder actions to get it to work, and it is highly inconsistent. Now, with a new Mac with Monterey, I do not want to upgrade FineReader Pro.

So do I lose much by using the DT3 OCR engine?

Thanks!

In my experience, I don’t think so but that’s only my opinion on it.

Thank you, BlueFrog. I have it set up, working fine once I scan. However, I have an issue with ScanSnap that I have not seen in the years of using their scanners. I start one scan, and after the doc has run through the scanner, with a few second delay, I insert the next document. I get an error message on my Mac:

‘Documents are being scanned or images are being processed. Complete the current scan and perform the next scan.’

Has anybody run into this? It slows the process down, especially if you feed a 5 or 10 page document.