Confused about PDF's

I need to get straight on how DT handles PDF files.

1. Yesterday I used the download manager to “import” about 300 PDF’s into a DT database by using the URL’s of Google search pages restricted to PDF filetype. I then dumped them into a folder with a bunch of HTML pages imported from DA but when I tried to autogroup the lot, none of the PDF files were grouped. When I converted the PDF’s to Rich Text, they started grouping. Why is this? I know that the PDF’s had been indexed because I could search for words in the documents.

2. In reading the forum, it seems that there is a difference in where PDF’s are stored, “file folder” versus database. Is this true? How can I tell the difference? Was this distinction part of the problem I was having above?

3. I cannot find the script “Save PDF to DT Pro from URL.” Where is this?

1. Do you have an example URL for me so that I could check this over here?

2. Since DT Pro 1.1 imported PDF files (and images) aren’t stored in the database anymore, they’re always stored in the “Files” folder

3. See http://www.devon-technologies.com/support/academy/dt_scripts.html

Ok, I did a little more reading and now I understand that DT can either store PDF’s in file folders that are visible in the package contents or in the database itself. I don’t care about portability or Spotlight access but my main questions are still:

1. Does where they are stored make a difference for the autogroup functions?

2. If so, how do I “import” PDF’s stored in file folders into the database?

3. Where is the “Save PDF to DT Pro from URL” script?

No, the storage location doesn’t make a difference.

Ok, but I still don’t understand why the first time I tried to autogroup the PDF files, it didn’t work.

Also, where is the script file I mentioned?

An example URL (the Google results page) would be still useful to be able to reproduce this over here. And the scripts page contains a “Save PDF to group” script, maybe that’s what you’re looking for but neither DT Pro nor the scripts page contain a “Save PDF to DT Pro from URL” script.

“An example URL (the Google results page) would be still useful to be able to reproduce this over here.”

If it happens again, I will do that.

“And the scripts page contains a “Save PDF to group” script, maybe that’s what you’re looking for”

That script is not on my disk nor in the DT dmg file. Where can I get it?

“but neither DT Pro nor the scripts page contain a “Save PDF to DT Pro from URL” script.”

It was mentioned in one of Bill’s posts.

I’ve already posted a link to our scripts page containing additional downloadable scripts, see above :slight_smile:

Sorry, missed that.

Thanks for the great support as always. :astonished: