Confused on DTTG syncing of indexed items - need clarification

Hi all (esp. you Jim :slight_smile:)

I’ve been having sync issues (Bonjour), and have a ticket being worked on - and in the mean time been doing a lot of testing of alternative setups.

Something is confusing me: the DT3 manual in page 55 says “DEVONthink To Go does not support
indexed items” - what does this mean? I am asking because I just created a small database on my MBP, where all items are indexed (I can see the little square icon) - and I was able to see that new database on my iPhone, and sync with it. On the phone, I can see all database items. If I edit, say a text file, after triggering syncing it appears, as indexed, on the mac. Occasionally, it appears as a “copy”.

So what is the meaning of the snippet in the manual’s page 55?

Tx all for any help!

Mike

1 Like

Not Jim here, but perhaps this will help. Let’s say you have indexed a folder located on iCloud Drive into DEVONthink. On macOS, newly added documents to that folder will automatically appear in the database on macOS. However, those documents will not appear in an iOS database unless it is synced with macOS. If you are iOS/ iPadOS only, it is not possible to index folders from the Files.app into a DEVONthink to Go database.

1 Like

@Greg_Jones has the correct response on the indexing part of this equation.

DEVONthink To Go cannot handle indexed items since it can’t access foreign filesystems or other sandboxed data. That means a file indexed in your iCloud folder (per Greg’s example) cannot point to a file in iCloud. There is a local copy of the file in DEVONthink To Go. The Mac database will allow for the indexing to work since it can access these other filesystems.

However…

If I edit, say a text file, after triggering syncing it appears, as indexed, on the mac. Occasionally, it appears as a “copy”.

That has nothing to do with indexing. That is a sync Conflict byproduct. You have DEVONthink’s sync conflicts set to Duplicate (DEVONthink) or Duplicate documents (DEVONthink To Go’s **Settings > Sync)**.

@Greg_Jones - many thanks Greg!
@BLUEFROG - indeed, indeed I had (to duplicate). I always set it to “newer”, and the time I forgot to do it I got surprised ha ha ha. Thanks!

Anyway, I was, for whatever reason, under the impression I could not see my databases on my iPhone if they were just indexed (not even talking about iCloud). Silly me. So right now I am testing using DT3 with HoudaSpot, and enjoying the experience a lot.

Tx guys!

Mike

No worries and you’re welcome! :slight_smile: