Context menu: Create new file in selected group?

Hello all. In DT2, upon selecting a group, the contextual menu did allow to create a new file in that selected group. Is there a way to have that in DT3? I’m sure it is documented somewhere but I can’t find it, sorry. Thanks!

(I just realized that this is in fact possible when the group is open. It would still be nice to know if that same thing can be done somehow in 3)

Which view did you use in version 2 and which do you use in version 3?

Hello cgruneneberg—good point, I didn’t think of that. In 3, I use View: As List, Preview: Standard. In 2, I used List, Split, and Three Panes. It used to work with closed folders in all three of those though.

In List view the destination depends on the expansion of the selected group, either it’s going to be a child (expanded) or a sibling (collapsed).

Yes, that is what I observed. I take it then that creating a child in a collapsed folder is no longer an option, correct? Not too bad I reckon.

I take it then that creating a child in a collapsed folder is no longer an option, correct?

Correct, and this makes logical sense when you remember the new group will be selected for naming after creation. If the subgroup were created in the collapsed group, you’d either end up with a bunch of New Group groups or the group would have to automatically expand itself to let you rename it.

Very plausible, good idea, thanks for pointing this out. There is one occasion where it is less handy, namely after creating a new, still empty group. Maybe an exception would be helpful here—but maybe no, as too many exceptions cause confusion and do more harm than good. So, thanks again!

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile: