Convert .eml to .rtf

Is there a way to convert .eml files in my databases to .rtf files? TIA

Yes, there is.

ps. the way it works here for me (which I don’t do very often) is select the *.eml file, then Menu: File → Export - > RTF Document … - > then pick a file location. If you pick the DEVONthink Global Inbox the exported file will be imported into DEVONthink automagically for you.

1 Like

Thanks so much. Appreciate the help.

The only glitch seems to be that when the dialogue (finder window) opens to pick a file location, I don’t see how to get it into the Global Inbox.

I am not at my computer. But you can read how to save files into the Global Inbox fully documented in the outstanding “DEVONthink Handbook” and in Help.

I put the Relevant folder on my Finder List (forget official name and cannot now look) on Left side of Finder.

1 Like

I kind of figured that the global inbox would have to be in the Favorites List in the Finder window but had no idea how to get it there. I’ll look in the handbook and help to find out how to do that. Thanks again!

An even easier way to do this is to select the email message in your database then right-click and select Convert > Rich Text. :slight_smile: Note that the new RTF file will appear in the same place as the email message, but won’t replace it — useful if for whatever reason the conversion fails to render the email message correctly. (Unfortunately, that can happen with some HTML emails depending on how they’ve been encoded.)

A bonus tip, useful for archiving conversations: if you select a group of email messages in date order, then right-click and select Merge X Documents, you’ll get an RTF document with all the emails joined together. (You can also hold down the Option key while doing the above, which will delete the original email messages as well, but see warning in previous paragraph about rendering of HTML emails.)

1 Like

I of course looked at that first, but noticed that a *.rtfd document(s) resulted. Not what @martinrice1 was looking for. Maybe there is some sort of missing thing on my version of DEVONthink. Dunno.

1 Like

Back at Global HQ. See page 135 of the outstanding “DEVONthink Manual”, 3.8.6 version.

1 Like

From my experience, the output if an RTFD document if there are images, or RTF otherwise. Yes, the former isn’t as universal as RTF, my solution for my purposes has been to treat it as an intermediate format, clean it up then convert it to PDF for final archiving.

1 Like

That is correct. RTFD is a different format for rich text files with attachments.

1 Like