Copying a table

I’m trying to do something that should be simple, but is turning out to be surprisingly difficult: copy/paste a table created in DT to a mail message/spreadsheet with table formatting intact. I created the table in a DT rich text document (it’s the only thing in the document), did a Select All/Copy, then pasted it into a mail message. The result was a single column with each cell as a row. The same result happens when I paste it into Excel.

How does one preserve the table layout? Or should I not bother creating tables in DT?

I hope the next version is going to focus on making it as easy to get stuff out of DT as it is to get stuff in. It’s quite frustrating not being able to print or copy/paste reliably out of DT. It’s the only Mac app I’ve used that makes those two simple tasks difficult.

Tables in rich text documents are completely handled by Mac OS X. Therefore at least Mail 2.0 should be able to preserve the layout.

The problem with Mail 2.0 is that it doesn’t use the standard Cocoa text handling but the WebKit one and therefore it is not completely compatible…

Thanks for the information. I was able to paste the table into Curio and have it come out as a table (though the column widths were typically hosed). It looks like the workaround that works best is to paste it into Word (not Mellel, for some reason), then copy/paste from Word into Excel. At that point, everything seems to be all right.

Hopefully, the next release of Apple’s text tools will play better with others.

Thanks again for the information…I’m still looking forward to being able to print from DT correctly. :wink: