Could you introduce your workflow to me?

I would like to learn how to automate my files and these are the following scenarios.

1. Downloaded files-> to be renamed → tagged → folder created ->sent to DT3.

2. Emails from outlook → Auto archived according to date YYYY-MM-DD → DT3

3. Creating new revisions to a word document → rename rev0 to rev 1. → DT3

4. Research on a subject → Store web url → Folder created and named → DT3

I am not sure it is possible but I just spent the last 8 hours storing files in folders that I manually created and organised the files by its date.

Basically I just want to have DT3 as The Central player to store all my files.

I have read the thread concerning hazel but I am not sure what’s the right way to automate. I am here to learn so would like to learn from you all.

I just spent the last 8 hours storing files in folders that I manually created and organised the files by its date.

I would make sure you get your manual process down before automating things. Otherwise, you are dead in the water if your automation fails. This is the best approach for automating most processes.

1. Downloaded files-> to be renamed → tagged → folder created ->sent to DT3.

You need to be much more clear on things like:

• Renamed how?
  • Tagged based on what?
  • Folder created where and with what name based?

These are things you need to have an idea and specify where the data comes from that causes these behaviors. You also need to understand some of that data many not be easily accessible or accessible at all.

2. Emails from outlook → Auto archived according to date YYYY-MM-DD → DT3

There is no automatic archiving of email. Also Outlook’s rules don’t support scripting so you can’t even set a mail rule to do some unattended actions.

3. Creating new revisions to a word document → rename rev0 to rev 1. → DT3

This would be possible to script. However, you need to provide information about the naming convention in use.
Also, there’s already an inconsistency in your example: rename rev0 to rev 1rev0 has no space between the word and number; rev 1 does. Is this intended?

4. Research on a subject → Store web url → Folder created and named → DT3

How is this to be automated?