Create Link in PDF to Database filtered by specific tag?

I have a database of around 150 PDFS (and some .mp4s and .docx files). Every document is tagged with several types of tags. (person’s name, issue raised, etc.) I have a PDF that acts as a sort of Dashboard for this. I would like to create a link from a specific name to a view of the database folder that has been filtered to the relevant tag. For example, if I want to see all documents related to John Doe, I can click on John Doe’s name and it will take me to the database folder and filter to only those docs tagged with John Doe. Is this possible? Really, I guess what I am asking for is whether there is a URL that I can use to link to a database filtered by a specific tag.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Create a Smart Group, e.g.:

• Copy the Smart Group’s item link via menu Edit > Copy Item Link (or via the contextual menu)
1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply @pete31!! This is very useful. Does anyone know if there is a way without creating a smart group? Otherwise, I have 53 smart groups to make while I’m catching up on episodes of Succession tonight. Ha!

If you don’t want to create Smart Rules then you could try to use DEVONthink’s URL scheme.

Search URL Commands in DEVONthink’s help, then create a URL with the search command and the query parameter.

1 Like

That’s perfect. Thanks AGAIN @pete31!

1 Like

I understand the dashboard but was wondering about the format (pdf)
What’s the workflow for creating this, and keeping it up to date?

I have something similar (project toc)
I use an applescript, generating a formatted note document

For example, if I want to see all documents related to John Doe, I can click on John Doe’s name and it will take me to the database folder and filter to only those docs tagged with John Doe.

My solution would be an applescript launching a search

BTW if you always want to filter by one tag then the simplest way would be to use the tag‘s item link.

The Smart Group and the URL command approach are only necessary if you want to filter by multiple tags.

1 Like

This isn’t a long-term thing. It is very one-off, project-specific. I am an attorney and the PDF is the Trial Witness list from opposing counsel. I am using that list to link to any documents related to that witness. I guess it would probably be easier to create a TOC or similar formatted note to accomplish the same. But I think each of these solutions above will work for me. It is just in this one project, so I think I’ll set things up differently in the future.