Create tags from MarginNote export, and organize notes in DTP tags?

Just touching base to see if you guys had any further thoughts about this… I’ve tried answering you guys directly, and am happy to provide more info. Thanks for your help.

See your ticket

1 Like

Just wondering if there are any further ideas about this. Thanks.

Let’s continue in your ticket. Thanks!

What is your goal with this process?

It’s a proprietary and quite complex setup. This is being handled in support. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Jim. I was asking the OP. I am curious to understand why he need such a complex workflow to extract and organize highlights.

Totally legit question. Basically, I’m trying to refine a process of annotation that I use that requires an inter-app workflow. The short of the log it is that I annotate PDF files, and then port over pre-organized, discrete annotations into Tinderbox.

As part of this process, I’m also trying to figure out how to retain the discrete, organized annotations for DEVONthink (the ultimate repository for most of my files). I wish there was an easier, more efficient way of doing this.

DEVONthink and Tinderbox are wonderful apps, and I use them for different note and file functions. I’m trying to do something where they don’t pair well together (alas), so @BLUEFROG and the wonderful people at DEVONthink are generously trying to help me find a solution. It’s one of the many reasons why I love the app, and enjoy spreading the word about it!

Just a suggestion. Why not use the Zettelkaten method?

1. Read, highlight and annotate all pdfs in DT (or an external app if you prefer).
  2. After finishing, export everything in rtf or markdown using DT.
  3. Save the file in DT.
  4. Review your highlights and annotations, extract the most relevant ones and write “atomic” notes using DT.
  5. Tag these “atomic” notes using DT. If you want, you can link these notes using wikilinks or item links.
  6. Use DT to search your notes.
  7. When you need to write anything using your notes, create a markdown document, transclude the notes to the document, and you have everything ready to go.

You can have your entire workflow using DT.

1 Like

Terrific idea. But…the annotation and rendering process I’ve put together automatically groups my atomic notes into specific topical and research categories, so that when I drag the annotated datasets into Tinderbox they’re already pre-curated.

It’s kind of amazing when it works properly, though there are some limitations (e.g., the lack of a unified file storage that can be shared with DTP and Tinderbox, how this process has to be done an in exact sequence – from MargninNote to Tinderbox – and so it’s difficult to edit notes w/o reproducing that who sequence, and how some apps are drag and don’t offer the same degree of support as the wonderful people of DTP!).

DEVONthink is easily only my favorite apps, and Tinderbox can certainly be a pain. But Tinderbox does provide some advantages with synthesizing atomic notes that I haven’t seen in any other app. Just wish the learning curve wasn’t so severe and they had the same kind of collegial support!

Thank you so much again for your suggestion, though. Really appreciate it…

1 Like

Ok. I am a minimalist :).