Creating a note to consolidate partial information from other notes

@pete31 Thank you so much for taking the time to do this - you are very kind. I had to tweak a couple of my notes so the script would pick them up but it works a treat!

2 Likes

Hi again @pete31.
Apologies for coming back to you on this, but could this script be adapted to look for information in a rich text file and then extract tables, formatted text, pictures etc., into a new consolidated todo list that would also be a rtf?
I was thinking it would be useful in another project database Iā€™m going to start work on.

Not asking you to do it but I am just curious.

No. Not sure if itā€™s possible at all, RTF(D) is hard to deal with in scripts.

If you use Nisus Writer you could search their forum. If extracting and merging of RTF(D) is possible then maybe someone over there already wrote a macro.

1 Like

I second @pete31 on this one. RTF(D) is not a very automation-friendly format.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing markdown is the best automation friendly format? Although Iā€™ve read the various pros and cons, and even tried markdown, I find it a bit ā€˜complicatedā€™ for my use.
Iā€™ll stay with formatted for the time being but will maybe revisit it from time to time. Thanks again.

MD is fairly ok for automation purposes. Any SGML derived language might be better (except for HTML, probably :wink: but who would want to use that?

Coming from all kinds of markup languages, I donā€™t really see what might be ā€œcomplicatedā€ about them, though :wink: In particular, if you want to do anything half way automatic with them.

1 Like

Plain text is generally very easily processed via scripting methods, so Markdown is a nice hybrid as itā€™s plain text but also can display with some nice formatting.