creation time of converted PDF files

Morning.

I’ld like to keep the original time stamp of creation of scanned PDF files notwithstanding converting into an OCR’ed file. At the moment on my DTPO after OCR’ing a file it gets the time stamp of the completion of OCR as its creation time. The original creation time obviously is overwritten.

How can I prevent the original creation time from any changing?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Kind regards, Friedrich

Currently, that’s not possible.

You can, however, make a note of the creation date of the original scanner output file, or another date within the document, such as the date on a letter or invoice. That date can then be set as the creation date of the document using the Change Date script (available in Help > Support Assistant - Install extras - Scripts, or under DEVONthink’s Scripts > Dates options in the menubar, if already installed).

OCR can be controlled by an AppleScript. OCR creates a separate, new document from the old document. The setting in Preferences > OCR > Original Document determines whether the original is trashed. If you turn off this preference, then a script would be able to (a) copy the creation date from the original document, (b) create the new OCRd document, © change the document in step b to have the creation date for the new document, and (d) delete the original document, leaving behind a new document with the old date.

That sounds fine. But I am not as familiar with Applescript to write such a script. Is such a script already anywhere available?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Kind regards, Friedrich

You could browse the Scripting section of the forum … there are a number of PDF and/or creation date examples there. Someone might volunteer to write one if they have a similar need. Or, there’s Bill’s suggestion above.