CSS style for "export as website"

With “export to website”, I would like to change the appearance of the index pages and converted rtf pages. DT generates website.css, which provides bare bones styling, especially the underline for links. On index pages with long lists of documents, everything is underlined and hard to read. I made my own css file (e.g. “blue when hovering” for links, wider line spacing) and substitute it for the DT generated one on the published webpage. Obviously, it would be more convenient to feed DT upfront with my own css style template.

My problem: I cannot find a template called “website.css” anywhere within the DT folders. Where does DT pull this file from? Is there a way to feed DT a user-generated template css for web export?

Just copy and modify a template in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Websites and point the link to your CSS file.

Thanks. I duplicated Default.html and then edited the line

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="%stylesheet%"/>

to replace %stylesheet% with a (web, not local) URL to a css file of mine. That works. Interestingly, during the export, DT still places the generic website.css into the top level of the export hierarchy. But none of the html files point to it, but to mine instead. That’s still a little odd, but it definitely works.

Just out of curiosity, what is DT exactly doing when it fills in the placeholder %stylesheet%? Where are the contents of website.css originating? Does DT generate it programmatically, or does it pull it from the web? Or from a file that is not called website.css?

It comes from internal resources.

@cgrunenberg would have to comment on the feasibility of the website.css not being generated or not.

Thanks.

@cgrunenberg would have to comment on the feasibility of the website.css not being generated or not.

Probably not worth it. It’s not that big of a deal. Thinking about it, it’s not surprising that website.css still shows up. DT would have to analyze the chosen html template for the appearance of %stylesheet% to make a decision to generate it or not.

HTML templates can be added to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Websites and are afterwards available in the File > Export > As website… panel.