Custom CSS for Inoreader feeds

I’m trying to make more “friendly” my RSS export from Inoreader to be used by DT. I have attached CSS that works fine, but now I want to make the header big and set in center, but I’m not being able to do it.

From Inoreader and DT generated HTML file (attached), the title is set as feed_header, and feed_link class. I add those to the CSS file but nothing changes.

Surely I’m missing somehing but cannot find what…

ino_rss.zip (4.4 KB)

CSS is not really on-topic here.
Nevertheless:

No, you did not. You added HTML elements feed_header and feed_link, which do not exist. Please read about the different CSS selectors:

Also, all major browsers provide developer tools that are very helpful to debug this kind of problem. Much more than having a human scan a CSS file

Ok, moved into Feedback section.

Related to the topic, I finally managed to do what I wanted using Safari Web Inspector. At the end, only a thing had to be changed:

font-size in “a.feed_link” whatever name that entry has in css nomenclature, and added a new section for “.feed_header”.

I’m attaching the modified css file if someone wants to use it.

rfog_default_big_title.css.zip (1.7 KB)

BTW, thanks for remember me the Safari debugger for tasks like those. Sometimes one got stuck into something and is not able to see the full landscape.

The first selector species a elements with class feed_link. The second one selects all elements of class feed_header.

I hate HTML/CSS. It is out of my mind.

The output of our kiosk is a web page run via xulrunner and controlled with a DLL that sends changes via a custom DLL from C++, and each time I must change something of the screens… it takes me a lot of time, a lot of cries and a lot of desperation because nothing is rendered as I expect. It sounds baroque, but it is quite easy customize screens for different customers via CSS and changing some graphic resources.

1 Like

I can understand how CSS might look overwhelming, especially with new features cropping up left and right. And today, with responsive layout and flexbox and grid the seemingly simple task of laying out a page requires much more knowledge then some years ago.

On the other hand: a basic knowledge of CSS (selectors and layout methods) is certainly helpful if you have to adjust your HTML to differing demands. And there’s not really an alternative anyway: PDF does not reflow (and laying it out is probably even more painful than CSS&HTML), and ePUB is basically HTML. That’s why I suggested to head over to MDN and read about CSS selectors. They are the basis of all stylesheet and if you get them wrong, you’ll be frustrated all the time.

Also, a lot of tasks are easier now than they where ever before with CSS. Like centering content vertically and/or horizontally, making content fill a given space or rearrange itself according to spatial constraints (aka “mobile device”).

3 Likes