Custom fields in the inspector

Hi,

Where can I find more details regarding these options (attached screenshot below):

Also, will appreciate some examples where these custom fields may be useful.

Thanks

Page 119 of the current DT manual provides more details. I mostly use custom metadata in conjunction with scripts, e.g. some of my documents automatically receive an expiry date, all documents have a checksum, etc.

1 Like

Yes, time for me to review the manual. Thanks for reminding!!
Appreciate the context as well.

You’re welcome.

I also use custom metadata for locating documents in real-life - some documents I have need to be preserved in their paper form. So I’ll scan them, and add a reference to section 64 in lever arch binder 1 in cupboard 2 or whatever.

1 Like

In case you want another example of use of custom metadata there is one in thiis thread. It’s all about journal entries in DT and, to save you reading it all, I use a date custom metadata field to make it easy to sort journal entries by date (simply because sorting by creation or modification date won’t work unless the relevant entries were created/modified on the date referred to in the entry—which doesn’t happen if you import old entries into DT).

Stephen

1 Like

Thank you, this has been very useful !
I’m using them to link previous and next versions of my pdf documents (via item links as custom fields). It’s not the smoothest way but at least I know that the links are there in the custom field…

My custom metadata use is a single field - Task Due Date
Other useful fields
Task Duration currently stored appended to the note title
Subject Date currently stored as a prefix to the note title
Receipt Amount currently stored appended to the note title

1 Like

Interesting! Do you use this system as your only task manager?