Customizing dark mode in markdown preview CSS?

So, stating technical facts is “not nice”, and offering to answer concrete questions merits ad hominem attacks? I’m wondering how that attitude works for you in academia.

Btw: I didn’t talk down to you. I didn’t even address you directly. What makes you think that i was annoyed about you (well, I am now)?

Anyway, all the best to you and your quest, whatever it may be.

1 Like

Your response says it all. Every time you respond to things I have posted you tell me about the shortcomings of what I wrote. If I then say that this does not feel good, it may not be up to you to judge the effect.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am doing fine by all standards. Not sure why you made this comment about my profession.

… and thank you for the solutions you provide to (in my view deep, focussed) technical questions. I really mean it. I am just unhappy that I obviously do not satisfy your standards.

With best wishes (I mean it)

Olaf

As the Imhoff style file is pretty close to the Bear and iAwriter designs that were elsewhere in this forum desired and discussed, maybe there is a technically capable person to improve the Imhoff style file into something close to the iOS DT2Go style to make it consistent and have dark mode working for DT?

I tried to learn CSS styling, following @chrillek 's suggestion that I should try, but failed. Otherwise, I would be happy to offer this here.

Olaf

Much of the styling in many public stylesheets cover many, many more elements than a typical Markdown user uses.

I would suggest creating a Markdown document, adding a style block, and making changes to understand how they work. Add this at the beginning or end of the Markdown file…

<!-- Styling -->
<style type="text/css">

</style>

Your core compositional element is the paragraph. In an HTML file, this is a p element, e.g., <p>Some text goes here</p>. So you’d define attributes of this element in the styling, like so…

<!-- Styling -->
<style type="text/css">
p {
color: red;
}
</style> 

This would display all the paragraphs in red.
Then continue to add elements and attributes as you desire.

If you get to a point where you’re satisifed with the styling, you can copy the document’s styling - minus the beginning and ending style tags and put them in a separate .css file. (A .css file is just another plain text format.)

PS: There are a ton of resources online for beginner to advanced styling.

1 Like

The latest version of DT2Go is a major improvement for notetaking in markdown. Without any additional CSS styling it looks great (very similar to the Stefan Imhoff style file. I liked the touch of colour in blockquotes in the previous DT2Go rendering (compared to the grey for the Imhoff CSS w DT) but overall the notetaking experience is now very much like what some dedicated editors offer.

3 Likes

Thanks! @aedwards did an amazing job, spending long hard hours on our new text editor, in addition to many other things he works on. @eboehnisch also did much of the nice polishing on it. :heart: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion and purchased. Very useful as I use markdown a lot via external editor. Mac DT3 editor still very cumbersome to use :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Typora offers a great selection of CSS themes and they also made an effort to explain how to modify them, or create your own ones.

And this:

I’d take their advice with several grains of salt. Setting max-width to a pixel value (of 1800!) for example is not helpful if you’re mainly dealing with text. In that context, something like max-width: 50ch makes a lot more sense for readability.

I’m not saying that the stuff is wrong. Just not very good advice in 2022 where we want fluid and responsive layouts.