DA Crash

I’m working on a new DA plugin, but I am running into constant crashes. Ever since I added in “Linksstart” and “linksend” strings into the plugin, DA crashes hard when ever I run it. It won’t get past the initialization stage, and from there is sucks up all the memory and CPU time until I either force quit or it crahses all on its own. This still happens even after I removed the offending lines from the plugin. DA works fine on all the built-in plugins, though.

In the console I see two error streams, the first being

2006-07-10 11:50:28.856 DEVONagent[5275] Missing EngineUrl definition

``` and the second being

DEVONagent(5287,0x18b9800) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
DEVONagent(5287,0x18b9800) malloc: *** error: can’t allocate region
DEVONagent(5287,0x18b9800) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** error: can’t allocate region
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** error: can’t allocate region
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** error: can’t allocate region
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** error: can’t allocate region
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=1069056) failed (error code=3)
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** error: can’t allocate region
DEVONagent(5287,0xa000cf60) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

The plugin is very simple:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> EngineNextUrl http://library.ohio-state.edu/search/t_agentQuery/t_agentQuery_/_agentOffset_%2C_agentNumber_%2C1642%2CB/browse EngineUrl http://library.ohio-state.edu/search/t?SEARCH=_agentQuery_ Identifier com.devon.technologies.OSUTitleSearch.plugin Info (C)Ben Spigel 2006 Name OSU Title Search OffsetPerPage 12 ResultsPerPage 0 Start 1 Version .01

Any clue what might be causing this, or how to stop the crahses?

Did you quit & restart DA after modifying the plugin? DA loads plugins only on startup.

In addition, could you post the plugin (including LinksEnd/Start) causing the troubles? Because the one you’ve posted looks fine.

I did restart it, with the same effects each time.

Here is the plugin that started all the trouble,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EngineNextUrl</key>
	<string>http://library.ohio-state.edu/search/t_agentQuery/t_agentQuery_/_agentOffset_%2C_agentNumber_%2C1642%2CB/browse</string>
	<key>EngineUrl</key>
	<string>http://library.ohio-state.edu/search/t?SEARCH=_agentQuery_</string>
	<key>Identifier</key>
	<string>com.devon.technologies.OSUTitleSearch.plugin</string>
	<key>Info</key>
	<string>(C)Ben Spigel 2006</string>
	<key>LinksEnd</key>
	<string>&lt;!-- END BROWSELIST/BRIEFCIT AREA --&gt;</string>
	<key>LinksStart</key>
	<string>&lt;!-- BEGIN BROWSE SCREEN LEFT CELL: BROWSELIST/BRIEFCIT AREA --&gt;</string>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>OSU Title Search</string>
	<key>OffsetPerPage</key>
	<integer>12</integer>
	<key>ResultsPerPage</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>Start</key>
	<integer>1</integer>
	<key>Version</key>
	<string>.01</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The ResultsPerPage definition is not valid and has to be greater than zero. Currently that’s causing an endless loop using all memory in the end. The next release will handle such bugs and log them to the console.

that did the trick, thanks a lot. I’ve got some more questions about improving the script, but I’ll address them in the scripting forum.