database files in documents folder?

I’m evaluating DTP and I see devonthink-1.databse through devonthink-10.database in my Documents folder. What are those? I assume they might be incremental backups? How do I redirec them. I don’t want them in my Documents folder.

Thanks. Love the product so far.

Alan:

You should not be seeing those particular files in your Documents folder or anywhere else, unless you previously created a database using DEVONthink Personal – in which case files of that description should be inside the DEVONthink folder in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink. Another possibility might be that there was a previously existing DT Personal database file and DT Pro tried to convert it, but was interrupted before completing the conversion.

They are not incremental backups.

I don’t know how those files got into the Documents folder, unless a DT Pro database had been saved there, and then was renamed by removing the “.dtBase” suffix from the file name. Question: Are there also three folders in your Documents folder named “Backup”, “Backup0” and “Backup1” and perhaps still another named “Files”? All those files are elements contained in a normal DT Pro package file.

If you have a working DT Pro database, which shows in the Finder as a file with the suffix “.dtBase”, then you can safely dispose of those other files in the Documents folder.

Tip: With your DT Pro database open, select File > Database Properties. Near the top of the Database Properties panel you will see the path showing the location of your database file.

Note: While Database Properties is open, check the option to make this the default database. Now it will open automatically when DT Pro is launched – that’s a good thing.

By default DEVONthink Pro copies your DEVONthink Personal to ~/Documents/DEVONthink.dtBase. However, sometimes the Finder thinks that the package is a folder and therefore shows the database files inside the package. Copying DEVONthink Pro to the /Applications folder and logging out & in again should fix this.

You should not be seeing those particular files in your Documents folder or anywhere else, unless you previously created a database using DEVONthink Personal – in which case files of that description should be inside the DEVONthink folder in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink. Another possibility might be that there was a previously existing DT Personal database file and DT Pro tried to convert it, but was interrupted before completing the conversion.

I did have DT Personal on my computer for a week or so. I deleted it using an application cleaner, but that often does not remove all traces.

I then installed DT Pro-. So, it appears what you’re speculating above is correct. But, I still can’t explain how they got in my Documents folder.

I have a Database which I have named using the Save As. This database is located in Documents.
I’m not very adept at using this type of application yet, so I may be moving things around where I shouldn’t be.
[/quote]

[quoteBy default DEVONthink Pro copies your DEVONthink Personal to ~/Documents/DEVONthink.dtBase. However, sometimes the Finder thinks that the package is a folder and therefore shows the database files inside the package. Copying DEVONthink Pro to the /Applications folder and logging out & in again should fix this.]

I did have DTPersonal evaluation copy before. As I said in my other reply. So, this is probably where these files came from.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Assuming that your database does probably not yet contain any useful/important information, you could…

• delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink (stuff from DEVONthink Personal)
  • delete the preferences ~/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.think.plist and ~/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.thinkpro.plist
  • all .database files in your Documents folder

Launch DT Pro, choose File > New Database… and select the desired destination & name to create a new database.

It’s all cleaned up thanks to your suggestions.

I don’t see Backups as related by Bill. But, I’ll get to that.

Thanks again.