Database inbox... not in the database (DT3)

Good afternoon,

I’m a bit confused using DT3 for few months now.

In the Global inbox, on my Mac, I have :

• the global Inbox
  • the inboxes of each of my databases (I have 9! One for each of my “type of job” or “interest”)

But in my databases I don’t find the dedicated inbox for that database…
My workflow when using DTPO was to put everything in the global Inbox, then each week to dispatch the entries in their respective database inbox, and when working inside a database to manage the data (reading, keeping, archive, throw away, whatever…)
Now with DT3, because I don’t find the “database inbox” in my Database, I constantly have to switch between the list of the inboxes at the upper level and the Database, so I lose a lot of time switching from to another, and it’s sometimes confusing to remember at witch database the data belongs too…
The purpose was to have separate databases to separate the different areas… now all is a bit messy.

This is not the case with DevonThink to Go, where, then I go to my “personal database” for instance I till find my “personal Inbox”

Please bring back my “xxx Inbox” in my “xxx Database”.

JL

You can create a smart group in each database that will accomplish what you want. The only thing that you cannot do with this arrangement is that you cannot create or add documents in a smart group. As long as what you are wanting to is to move documents from the respective inboxes to their final groups, a smart group will perform identically to inboxes in DEVONthink 2.

1 Like

re: “This is not the case with DevonThink to Go, where, then I go to my “personal database” for instance I till find my “personal Inbox”

I forgot to mention this, DEVONthink to Go is on a different development cycle, so the inbox behavior could change in the next major release.

Thanks for your quick reply… I’ll try it and I think it’ll do the job!