Database Mysteriously Duplicated Into Trash

One of my project databases – the largest and most frequently used, of course – has inexplicably been duplicated into the Trash. At least, I think it has; there are 1,300 documents that total some 3.3gb in both the database and the Trash. A not exhaustive look shows that the documents in the Trash appear to be identical to the documents in the database.

I do not understand how this is possible. As far as I know, one cannot deliberately duplicate items to the Trash: an item is either in a database or in the Trash, but not in both places. I have not run any scripts that would do this.

Even more strange is that the documents and their folders are in the Trash in the hierarchy shown below.

Note 1: I very likely created and deleted “New Group 1”
Note 2: I certainly did not create any Smart Group titled “Documents with No Text” and I don’t know where this SG came from, and the documents in this folder in the Trash do have text (except for the ones that I have deliberately left empty, and with only a title).
Note 3: These items are folders in the database, but in the Trash, their icon is that of a Tags group.

There are more groups in the database and in the Trash. Even Smart Groups are duplicated into the Trash.

I noticed that it happened some weeks ago (I believe with the same database but I cannot recall with certainty) that a smaller subset of documents had been duplicated to the Trash. Because the number was small, I was able to sort out the mess.

What in the world is going on? I’m afraid to touch anything at this point.

How can I go about sorting out this mess and preventing it from happening again? (I suppose I could move everything that’s in the Trash into a folder in the database and look for duplicates? But geez, that’s adding another 3.3gb to the database.)

(BTW, where is the Trash database located?)

I am on a 17" MacBook Pro 5,2 with 8gb RAM, DTPO 2.3.5 on 10.6.8 fully patched except for the latest Security Update and the latest Java update.

The stats in the Database Properties window are: “Total: 1,434 (27 replicants) 2.3gb, Words: 78,112 unique, 1,988,523 total”

No one else has touched my database, and I do not use Dropbox, nor do I sync any database (or any files) anywhere using other products. My daily practice is to close all apps, back up, and log out and in again, and I reboot once a week or more frequently as needed.

This is unfortunate. You’re right, that it’s clearly “not possible” for this to happen, so something else is going on. Troubleshooting this problem might be complex, and I suggest you open a ticket directly with Support (here or here or support_at_devontechnologies_dot_com), where you can get faster personalized attention than the forum. Please save relevant console messages, and DEVONthink crash logs, and forward them to Support.