Database Recovery (without Time Machine)

I store all files in iCloud. I also had my DevonThink databases synching with/backing up to iCloud. Recently after upgrading to Monterey, I experienced an OS login issue multiple times and decided to do a fresh install of everything, including erasing my hard drive. After all, since I store all my files in iCloud, and since I backup DevonThink to iCloud, what’s the harm, right?

So far, everything about that procedure went smoothly, except for one thing. The DevonThink DB’s that I had configured in to store/backup in iCloud are not in iCloud? Is there any way to recover those (apparently lost) DBs?

Could you explain your setup with “synching with/backing”?
I use iCloud cloudkit for a sync store
I also use the export/archive function to backup databases

Note: Sync is ​not ​a backup, neither advertised nor advocated as such. We strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar snapshot-style backup applications) and external drives. Also, you should read the series of articles we posted: DEVONtechnologies | Search & Find

That being said, is anything reported on DEVONthink’s Window > Log?

I’m using iCloud CloudKit as well.

I guess what’s puzzling me is that I store all of my files (including DevonThink, so I thought) in iCloud. I guess what I’m learning is that DevonThink (by default) stores DB’s in the home folder, which in my case was outside of iCloud.

iCloud (Legacy or CloudKit) or any “cloud” synching service only for syncing. It holds files only for DEVONthink to use to facilitate synching between devices. See the DEVONthink Handbook for more info about not doing this.

DEVONthink databases (MacOS “package”) holding hundreds if not thousands of files should reside on your local disk. Home folder good. I keep mine in ~/DEVONthink and the archive zip backups in ~/Backups/DEVONthink_backups.

Would be good if you rummage around on your disk and find where your databases are kept. Also shown in “database properties” (right mouse click on the database name).

1 Like

I’m using iCloud CloudKit as well …Is there any way to recover those (apparently lost) DBs?

Since you used iCloud Cloudkit, the sync store is stored in iCloud, and available for syncing. It should still be there
In Devonthink sync preference, enable iCloud Cloudkit, and indicate the databases you want synced with the Mac: your data will be downloaded

DEVONthink database should not and cannot be put into cloud-synced folders. It is not *(and never has been) data-safe.

We have spoken at length in the documentation, here on the forums, and even on our blog about proper primary backup strategies. Sync is not one of them, ev en if it can afford a small measure of the function in some circumstances.

While technically true, you shouldn’t rely on this as a backup.

Another “settings” question related to this topic. If I stored my DevonThink db’s in a Documents folder rather than in my home folder (my Docs folder is in iCloud), would I then sync my DevonThink databases to Dropbox? (I would imagine I couldn’t still sync them to iCloud).

These are two independent activities
. move your databases to whatever location
. use whatever sync method; not restricted by database location

What are your benefits in moving the databases?
I can see adjusting storage by moving them to an external drive

If I stored my DevonThink db’s in a Documents folder rather than in my home folder (my Docs folder is in iCloud), would I then sync my DevonThink databases to Dropbox? (I would imagine I couldn’t still sync them to iCloud).

No, you cannot and should not do this. Again, you should not put your databases in any cloud-synced location.