Database size won't shrink in finder after deleting files

I wouldn’t trust Finder here (see for example Michael Tsai - Blog - Finder Shows Incorrect Folder Sizes or the much older thread here File size in finder ' get info' does not … - Apple Community).

Just tried it with one of my databases:

• Finder says 685,9 MB
  • command line says 645 MB

That’s a difference of about 6 percent.

du -h on the command line should be more reliable. Also, where do you see a Trash folder inside a database package? I checked here and couldn’t find one. And when I deleted a file, it wasn’t moved to any special location in the database package either, it just stayed in Files.noindex...

Thanks, yes, I just mailed the bug report as requested. Command line (Terminal) sees 40G (not a very precise number I must say) as opposed to the 43.342.135.926 bytes Finder sees and still sees after restarting it. The difference after this Finder restart is that now it displays two Backup folders of equal size but different name.

In case it matters: I previously attempted synchronizing the database in question via bonjour with another mac, which failed apparently because a (temporary?) file in Application Support (in Library) outgrew the available hard drive space, possibly due to repeated connection failures (despite—as far as I can tell—uninterrupted wlan). Synchronization this way never succeeded, the database kept being categorized as not yet synchronized. It is only after noting the enormous Application Support file that I aimed at cutting down the size of that particular database by taking out a large number of large files from it, only to see that this lead to no shinkage in size at all.