Database Storage use

I have DTPO on two Macs and DTTG on an iPhone and iPad. All software is latest current.

All four databases are sync’d by Bonjour (only) and sync is up to date on all.

iCloud backup is turned off on the two iOS devices.

I am a bit puzzled by the size variations on the devices:

iMac:15.04GB
MacBook Air: 14.90GB
iPhone 11 Pro Max: 15.48GB
iPad Pro 11in: 18.01GB

Is there an explanation? I would like the bring the iPad in line with the others as it is the one tightest on space.

Does DTTG create local caches, which I imagine could vary between devices?

Thanks

From where are these numbers actually (e.g. Finder or Database Properties)?

The iMac and MBA were from Finder. The iPhone and iPad from Settings > General > iPhone/iPad storage.

Since posting earlier I have taken the nuclear but easy route of uninstalling DTTG from the iPad and reinstalling and resyncing. The iPad usage has come down from 18.1GB to 15.63GB.

The numbers now are:

iMac Finder: 15.04GB
iMac DB properties (total of four): 12.67GB

MBA Finder: 15.15GB
MBA DB properties (total of four): 12.77GB

iPhone 11: 15.57GB

iPad Pro: 15.63GB

The install has removed my original concern about the high iPad usage, except for how/why it happens?

I can understand that the Database properties are likely to be much more accurate than Finder. So focussing on the DB Properties size, on the two Macs, I see one database which is 2.3GB on the iMac and 2.4GB on MBA.

Attached is a composite screenshot of the DB properties of the two, showing that everything identical except size and words. Does this surprise you? Should I be worried?

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 15.31.30|690x208

One of the other databases also has a small difference in words, but not size.

Thanks for any advice.

These numbers aren’t comparable, only the database statistics of the apps (e.g. File > Database Properties… on the Mac) are.

Are you running the same OS on both Macs?

Are you running the same OS on both Macs?

iMac is running 11.1 build 20C69. MBA is an M1 Mac running 11.2 RC2. I am surprised if the OS might affect the Database properties.

Would there be any point in rebuilding the databases where the word count is different? Both pass repair and verify.

Though it shouldn’t be used regularly, it wouldn’t hurt to do a rebuild.

Though it shouldn’t be used regularly, it wouldn’t hurt to do a rebuild.

Rebuilding the databases which had different word count and size (in one case) has brought them all completely into line, 100% agreement.

I don’t suppose a small word count difference is ever going to matter, but feel it indicates something is not quite as it should be. Is there anything I could/should be doing?

Though it may not contribute in this situation, a regular Verify & Repair is a good habit we advocate.

Though it may not contribute in this situation, a regular Verify & Repair is a good habit we advocate.

I assume you mean the quick V & R from the file menu (which is done anyway before an export archive which I do regularly) rather than “Verify database thoroughly” from the Sync Prefs?

Thanks

Correct.

Thanks very much.

You’re very welcome.