Database with external files indexed - creating files in external file system

I did a quick test and a Markdown file created in the database that is really indexing an external file system is created inside the database bundle. Is there a trick to always force newly created files (RTF, Markdown et rest) to be placed in the external file system outside the database bundle?

Is there a trick to always force newly created files (RTF, Markdown et rest) to be placed in the external file system outside the database bundle?

Are you referring to DEVONthink 2 or 3??

Devonthink 3. Basically treat Devonthink as a file browser where indexing is saved in the database but creating new files happens in the original directory hierarchy.

Is the folder in the Finder locked or does it have special permissions?

Interesting, I did a test and reindexed the folder using a new database and this time creating an rtf file or md file generated the file in the original target file. So all I need to do is to create a new database for this case, might be it was a DT 2 database that was migrated to DT 3.

This is great. What I could do now is to work on .md files from iCloud and from DT3. Best of both worlds.

Next step is to figure out how to make links in .md files from existing md file names in the depot, kind o what VoodooPad does by default. Most likely I need a Rust command line tool or a sed hack script to do it, but with this kind of auto-linking I could connect pages together. Might be a cool feature in DT3.x as well if you could take file names and have the .md files link to them without the need to use WikiWorld style syntax, just the file names.

Might be a cool feature in DT3.x as well if you could take file names and have the .md files link to them

You mean like… Option-dragging and dropping files into the Markdown source? That’s already in place.

No its like how VodooPad works, you create a page and then if the page name is mentioned in any other pages it will make it to a link. This way you don’t need to use WikiNotation or constantly update various pages with the url links. Or, you could select a string and make it to a link and it also becomes a new page.

Now, I suspect I need to implement this outside DevonThink just now.

One thing to watch out for is that you absolutely need to be inside the indexed folder when creating new files. :wink: If for some reason it gets created in the database, you also can right-click and select Move to external folder (or something like this)

DT3 can do that!

You just have to choose Names and Aliases in Settings > WikiLinks. I was using VoodooPad as well and everything I could do with it and more, I can do now with DT3. :slight_smile:

The aliases feature is even more powerful in DT3 than in VP, since you can insert them as a simple comma-separated string (in VP you have to insert them one by one). I wrote about how I use this in this thread.

Since 3.0.2, I think, there is an applescript to do that using ⌘L. I made some changes to the original script and posted it here. With the modifications, this is what happens when I press ⌘L:

1. It will use the selected text for the name of the new note. If there is no text selected, it will ask me for a name.
  2. Next, it will ask me for the text in the body of the new note, with the content of the clipboard already showing up as a possible default answer.
  3. Finally, it will open the note in a new tab.

With DT3 you can do all of this and still have your files in the indexed iCloud drive :wink:

@Bernardo_V is correct.

Oh cool, I’m an old VoodooPad user as well, so we belong to the clan of people that waited for that app to get fixed and get features, and we gave up.