Date manipulation in AppleScript

Dear DT scripters,

I try to create a script which exports selections from DT windows as item für RSS 2.0 feeds.
A RSS item looks like this:

Based on another script by Christian Grunenberg I managed to fill title, link and author fields. I will later work on a way to split a selection into the header and first paragraph to use the header as the title and the first paragraph as description.
Right now I try to create a suitable pubdate information. It should look like “Sun, 19 May 2002 15:21:36 GMT”

Here’s my solution so far:
[color=green]set derTag to the characters 1 thru 3 in (weekday of (current date) as text)
set this_time to derTag & ", " & day of (current date) & " " & month of (current date) & " " & year of (current date) & " " & time string of (current date)

But this doesn’t work. I can’t read out characters 1 to 3 of the Weekday. What is wrong here? How do I get the first three chars of the weekday. I will need this later for the month as well.

Thanks for your help,
macvet

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	set derTag to the characters 1 thru 3 in (weekday of (current date) as text) as text
	set this_time to derTag & ", " & day of (current date) & " " & month of (current date) & " " & year of (current date) & " " & time string of (current date)
end tell

This returns “Fri, 19 October 2007 9:23:16 PM”
Add an “as text” on the end, because otherwise you’re returning {“F”, “r”, “i”, ", ", 19, " ", October, " ", 2007, " ", “9:23:57 PM”}, an array.

Make sense?

that’s it. Now it works