Delete tags without deleting notes

Sometimes I review DT behavior by creating a fresh database, put a placeholder file or two into it, and then try the operation I have questions about.

If I’m focussed on a tag and think of something that needs to go there, I don’t feel unsafe to just create files in the tag. I think as of recent versions of Devonthink this is safe.

The file created in the tag appears in the database’s inbox, which is the persistent instance of the file. That reminds me I probably need to move it to an appropriate group.

If I delete the file from the tag, the copy in the inbox remains.

If I delete the copy in the inbox, it disappears from the tag.

If I delete the tag, the copy in the inbox remains unharmed. In my use, it’s completely safe - but please test on your version of Devonthink. I’m running 3.8.7.

Regarding replicants, a file in Devonthink goes in a folder of Devonthink’s choosing and seems to stay put, possibly absent rebuilding the database. As you move the file around, the file doesn’t move. Devonthink keeps track of what files, wherever they are, appear in which groups. That’s for imported files. Indexed locations are different.

For instance, show a Devonthink file in the Finder. Move it to a different group, it will be in the same folder. Move it to the trash and show it in the finder from the trash - same folder.

Duplicate a file and it will likely go in the same folder with the original with “-1” appended to the physical file name. Unlike replicating (or tagging, which is sort of automated replicating), duplicating creates new files.

What you see in the groups and tags is unrelated to the physical location of files. It’s a mapping of what should appear where, maintained by Devonthink.

Corrections most welcome!

3 Likes

If I’m focussed on a tag and think of something that needs to go there, I don’t feel unsafe to just create files in the tag. I think as of recent versions of Devonthink this is safe.

It’s not safe but DEVONthink fixes the problem by generating the file in the database’s Inbox. It’s circumvention, not advocacy :wink:

And yes, you’ve shown a good grasp of what’s actually happening in the database and under-the-hood in the situation you’ve described. :heart:

1 Like