Deleting Dupes The Saga Continues

I hope this helps. I think for me the problem was that indexed files was not always available locally. I think that it would be nice to have the possibility of forcing certain folders to always be available locally when using Optimise Mac Storage. Does anyone know if it is possible already?

@bjornivarsson @cgrunenberg Unfortunately this did not solve the problem. Some of the duplicates returned, though it appears to be limited to a class and it’s folder’s contents. I know for a fact I had sorted this all out in the app only to then have all that hard work undone and files moved around the next time I opened the app. This is consistent with what was happening before files or folders would end up duplicated and not in the folder hierarchy I had assigned them to. Any ideas what could be going on? I’ve moved the contents of this particular class around so many times in an effort to fix the problem that I’m wary of using the remove duplicates script which appears to be functioning as intended now, because its unclear which folder has files and which doesnt, requiring me to expand and then move the files around individually, which makes the repeated nature of the issue all the more vexing,

Do you use any third-party app to synchronize folders from one computer to another (except Dropbox)?

Not for the files that are being duplicated, no. I have OneDrive installed and use it for other files, but I don’t see how that would/could impact my synced folder I’m having issues with.

What’s the path of the folder?

@cgrunenberg it’s squiggledooder/documents/SF State/YEAR TWO/Spring/794

@cgrunenberg I think I may have figured out what happened. It looks like the optimization setting on my desktop somehow was switched back or I mistakenly never changed it. Stay tuned for whether or not that fixes it.

That aside, do you have any idea on why it is that the files would be taken out of their assigned folders and nested hierarchy instead of being duplicated in place if they were going to be duplicated? It just seems odd to me that would happen and that it would be as random as it appears to be.

Unfortunately no idea right now as this the only report of its kind, in all other cases the duplicates were created in the same group/folder. If you’re able to reproduce this using a small test database, then as many details as possible would be appreciated.

@cgrunenberg 10-4

1 Like

???

Sorry, that was radio code for “roger that”, as in gotcha. I threw it out there like everyone was familiar with it. Sorry about that.

Obviously at least in Europe some people are not familiar with it :slight_smile:

For trivia Thursday, 10-Code:

Pardon me if I observe that “clarifying” a radio code with another radio code and a piece of Anglo-American slang is perhaps … not the clearest clarification in an international environment? :wink:

So I had thought that turning off the feature for optimizing my file storage did the trick, and I guess it did for a while, but now my duplicates are back with a vengeance, I even had like 2k plus items import themselves into my inbox which was super odd since that’s probably everything that I’ve ever added to it in the first place. Lots of duplicated files when the setting is for it not to duplicate.

I also am randomly seeing a message when I try verifying my databases that says it can’t add that folder because a folder with that name already exists or something to that effect. Other times it will say that the database is damaged, other times it will verify just fine and it seems to be cycling through theses at random apparently. Any idea what could be going on here?

I’m using the latest version of the app, and operating system on a macbook air and an imac and I have the latest version of DTTG which I very infrequently check when i’m limited to using my iphone.

Screenshots of these error messages would be useful.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 8.18.57 AM

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 8.22.11 AM

This seems to be an issue of the iCloud sync store, is a verification successful?

It will alternate between being able to verify and not. I recently cleaned the sync store because I was having issues with getting my DTTG operational since nothing was syncing to it. This worked for a day or two and allowed my databases to be verified, but then shortly after that was when I got hit with that massive dump of files into my inbox, and then my files started getting all wonky, either not being there or there being too many of them there.