Devon Think and file down loads. Scans etc

Hi there. I have yet to put Devon think to work. As covid resulted in me loosing my job after 25 years.

I have lately been very interested in vintage scans, pictures, artwork files in eps jpg psd etc etc

I have purchase 1000s of files over the past year.

Could I use Devon think To keep track of what I have download ? Also access them from within Devon Devon think.

Hope you understand my needs and would love to hear from anyone who gets my idea.

Thanks

Kev

Sorry to hear of your predicament. We hope things will improve for you in the job market and in general :slight_smile:

Yes, you can store images in DEVONthink though if you need to keep track of image specific metadata, that’s not really built into our application. If you need real digital asset management, you’d be looking at an application like Extensis Portfolio, Adobe Bridge, Canto Cumulus, etc.

Is there any risk of image degradation?
I’m thinking things like auto compression

Enabling the record lock might add some protection

Other than that, I think Devonthink is an excellent tool for storage/organization of the collection
(I have no interest in going full DAM)
In answer to the op’s “To keep track of what I have download … access them from within Devonthink”

There’s also a thread here, from earlier in the year, discussing use of DT as an image database which you may find interesting.

Stephen

Is there any risk of image degradation?
I’m thinking things like auto compression

No. DEVONthink doesn’t do any conversion of files when they’re imported or indexed, just like the Finder doesn’t