DevonAgent changes AND to OR?

I’m using DA as a trial download.

When I run an initial search for two terms using an AND, DA instead searches as an OR. In fact, the search field shows the query with AND, but the settings view shows it as an OR (see attached screen shot which show both my input and DA’s search criteria). This isn’t particularly useful and wastes a lot of time - not to mention valuable data allowance (I’m in a remote area and using satellite broadband).

Is there any way to make DA do the AND search?

This is just the default term used to follow additional links, meaning that any link matching one of the terms is used by default. This doesn’t have any impact on matching the pages though.

You could enter your own term, reduce the number of levels or disable following of links to reduce bandwidth usage of course.

Sorry, but I find your answer difficult to comprehend.

This is just the default term used to follow additional links, meaning that any link matching one of the terms is used by default. This doesn’t have any impact on matching the pages though.<<

So, if I understand you correctly, the program default setting is wasting my time following links that relate to only one of the search terms, because it substitutes an OR for the AND in my search when following links (which are generally to “pages” so I don’t understand when you say “doesn’t have any impact on matching pages”. Can I override this default setting? Or do you really mean that this is the only option in regard to following links?

You could enter your own term, reduce the number of levels or disable following of links to reduce bandwidth usage of course.<<

Ahhhm … enter my own term??? Obviously I do enter my own search terms, or there would not be a search. I don’t understand what you mean.

Reduce the number of levels or disable following of links??? Sure, that would reduce my bandwidth usage. So would not using DA at all. But I don’t have a problem with using my limited bandwidth productively, just with having it wasted by DA changing my query. Your comment doesn’t seem very helpful.

You can’t change the default setting but you can of course enter your own “Follow Links” term to reduce the number of links to follow. Searching/matching and following of links are independent.

I don’t understand your concern about “wasting” bandwidth when, at the point of deciding whether to follow links from a page, DA Pro will do that if only one but not both terms are present.

For many of my searches, that decision returns useful results that wouldn’t have been found otherwise, Note that the results downloaded to your computer will still meet your search criteria, and will contain both terms in your example query.

I’ve got satellite Internet access too, and keep hoping that a better alternative becomes available. :slight_smile:

So, Bill, you mean that DevonAgent keeps searching for webpages that match at least one of the search terms, even if the user has used the AND operator, and it uses the search results for some of its “Artificial Intelligence” facilities (e.g. “See also”, the graphic “keywords” map, etc.)? Perhaps you could better specify how these “hidden” results are used? Thanks.

Think about it. Suppose your query is ‘magnesium AND sulphate’ and the search is set to follow links, drilling down three levels.

Suppose a page is found that meets the query conditions. It’s a valid search result and will be downloaded to your computer. If there are links on that page, they will be followed and examined.

If any of the linked pages meet the search criteria (both query terms were found), the page wii be downloaded and it’s links will be followed and examined.

If any of the linked pages do NOT meet the search criteria, they will not be downloaded. But if a page contains one of the query terms, links on that page will be followed, and the linked pages will be examined.

So if a Web page contains any of the query terms, links in it will be followed, as it can be demonstrated that the probability that following links on that page will find a valid result is much higher than if links on a page that contains none of the query terms were followed.

There’s a method to the apparent madness in changing AND in the query field to OR in the decision criteria as to whether or not to drill down from a page being examined.

In the real world, that method does produce more valid results for my example query, than if a more stringent criterion for following links were used. Yet it will - with high probability - use far less bandwidth than if all links on all examined pages were followed.