DevonAgent rebrand: the _best personal, private search engine_

:slight_smile: Same. I’ve been a Linux/Unix sysadmin for over 20 years. It’s why I’ve got a Mac. My terminal setup doesn’t have icons, but it is beautiful. I’ve put a lot of work into keeping it modern.

That’s what they said about VoodooPad. :zombie:

which lies… I definitely like that it’s black on white and thus legible :+1:

1 Like

I agree, but I think there’s a balance to keep. DEVONtech’s done a great job with DEVONthink, keeping it modern while also keeping the UI usable.

Overall my point is that DEVONagent looks way outdated, doesn’t work as expected (see full screen), and doesn’t work with modern data stores I’d like to use it to search. That’s why, to answer @BLUEFROG 's original question, I thought it might be scheduled for decommissioning.

This isn’t about if anyone prefers older designs or if the design updates by Apple are important or not.

Unfair comparison, I think. :wink:

RIP VoodooPad.

1 Like

Some light troubleshooting on a couple of these items in the meantime:

View => Hide Toolbar. I just keep it hidden.

I don’t have experience with Confluence, but just in case you haven’t already tried this, when a search fails on a particular site the first thing to try is toggling between Search and Crawl in the Sites tab of the Search Sets window. Otherwise this could be a case for a DIY user plugin, which is a little geeky to build but very powerful. (Pages 85–93 of the manual have the scoop.)

2 Likes

Thanks for this thread. I bought DA a couple years ago but hadn’t figured out how to use it. I just downloaded the latest update and will watch the tutorials.

Camino hasn’t been in active development for 10 years, probably safe to remove that option by now.

These options were already removed from DEVONthink and will be from DEVONagent too.

1 Like

DevonResearchAgent

1 Like

The community of Obsidian uses the software to expand their thinking, keyword “Second Brain”. I like this idea very much. What would be the linguistic and mental equivalent for DevonAgent, in terms of “Second Brain”. DevonAgent is my …?

I could imagine the “Second Brain” community falling head over heels in love with DevonAgent. How can you connect with this group and address them. Is this already planned?

Finally, I could see this happening with the artificial intelligence community.

It’s generally the same crowd. And of course, they all talk amongst themselves. We get a lot of traction from word of mouth, especially on other forums.

1 Like

Ditto for me with DuckDuckGo as my default search engine. I removed Google and Bing from all devices along with Google Chrome.

1 Like