DEVONcron

I’m not sure how possible this is, but I thought I’d suggest it anyway.

I have found it useful to have several AppleScript applications running at all time with hooks into DEVONthink. For instance:

• I have a script that totals my word count in “draft” documents and the number of days I’ve been writing and then does some simple statistics: percentage completed, average daily rate, and so forth, and sets my iChat status message accordingly, sets me to away if I’m making good progress, etc.
  • Another script takes those statistics and constructs a PHP file that draws an image with those statistics and uploads it to a remote server so that my wife and friends can see the progress I’m making.
  • Another exports all of the drafts I’ve written as a single RTF file named with the date and uploads it to a remote server.
    … and so on.

I currently have these scripts all using a

on idle
return 900
end idle

construction. They’re also externally stored, so I have to back them up separately from my database or add extra programming to copy them into the database whenever I tweak some function.

I think it would be a nice feature if DEVONthink offered a sort of internal like ability. I’m not precisely sure how it’d be implemented, and I’m not going to commit the cardinal “armchair programmer” sin of saying “it sounds easy to me!”

I imagine something fairly simple, though – maybe just a specific folder in the AppleScripts directory that DTP trolls regularly. A comment header in each script could specify how often or at what times the script is run in a like syntax.

Or I might just do this myself… hmm. I’ll post back later if I figure out how to do it.

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for but perhaps FlexTime could be of use?