DEVONThin versus FileCenter Pro and Kofax PaperPort

I just got myself a Mac mini and am looking to replace the FileCenter Pro and Kofax PaperPort programs on my Windows systems and am looking for something similar. Used PaperPort for over 20 years and have used FileCenter Pro for the last 7-8 years.

Scanning is the main function I am looking for with quick navigation between folders. I currently have 40 years of stuff scanned in.

Store the information on OneDrive presently. Might switch to iCloud at some point.

Pax,
Richard Elliott

Welcome @Narnian

Scanning is the main function I am looking for with quick navigation between folders. I currently have 40 years of stuff scanned in.

The Pro and Server editions of DEVONthink have built-in scanning and OCR. If you’re running the trial, you have the functions of the Server edition but you can only process 20 documents with OCR per day in the trial.

Scanning is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Capturing Paper (Image Capture) , In & Out > Capturing Paper (Other Options), and Windows > Sidebar: Image Capture.

Store the information on OneDrive presently. Might switch to iCloud at some point.

You should not and cannot put DEVONthink databases in any cloud-synced location or you could irreparably damage them.

That being said, it is possible to index files into DEVONthink, leaving the files where they reside outside the database. However… this is not the default behavior for good reasons. If you’re interested in this option, readnand understand the In & Out > Importing & Indexing section of the built-in Help and manual before you proceed.

But there are multiple sync options inside the app, if that’s something you’re concerned about.

Correct – and…

The first question you need to ask yourself is, “Do I need a remote sync option?”. If you have a colleague, assistant, significant other, etc. that needs frequent updates to synced data, then perhaps you do. Otherwise, a local sync is the advocated approach.

We also have information available in a variety of places…

On our forums:

There is a forum post on syncing: Sync Types Explained. This is a good place to start.
There is also one specifically about Bonjour: Bonjour Simplified

Help and Manuals

Sync is covered in the Help for each application:

• For DEVONthink, sync is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync, Preferences > Sync, and Troubleshooting > Sync Issues.
  • For DEVONthink To Go, sync is covered in the ? > Help > Sync your databases section.

Manuals can be downloaded here: Manuals

Support Assistant Tutorials

There are tutorials in DEVONthink’s ​Help > Tutorials​.

:smiley: